Dave KG & Zaino Part 1 (Volvo S60)

Discussion in 'Professional Detailer's Studio' started by Dave KG, May 18, 2008.

1. Dave KG

Dave KG Jedi Nuba

The first of an x-part series of posts from me on the progress of Zaino on my own car... It was the intention over this weekend to do a full Zaino detail, alas the weather put paid to that so the full detail will be in several parts as and when I have the time to do this that and the next thing, but it will be an ideal log of various Zaino products and there performance on the car. :) So watch this space for further updates of different stages on this car.

Also - it is very difficult to fully appreciate any finish in pictures. Indeed, I could have used Turtle Wax original here and got the pictures to come out the same! However, this car will be at meets throughout the summer so I would encourage folks to come up and have a look, talk to me about my thoughts on the products and see for yourselves what Zaino is capable of... Bear in mind that it has been applied to a working car, not a garage queen so its durability will be under test right from the off... It will be maintained with Z7, Z6 and Z8 throughout the summer months.

So, with that out of the way - let us begin the first part of the KG & Zaino write ups. :)

Day 1 - Paint Preparation & Zaino AIO

Key to Zaino in my eyes is getting the paint perfect before starting - this gives the Zaino the best possible canvas to work with, and will give you the best out of the product. This of course is key to any LSP system...

My car before hand, a year since being machine polished, was still looking pretty good:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This here has Dodo Supernatural topped with about five layers of Z8 here and looks impressive on its own... But, I want to see what the Zaino system alone is capable of.

First of all, the car was clayed using Zaino Z18 Clay, using Meguiars Last Touch as the lube. This is contrary to the instruction to use a Z7 solution as a lube, but I am a big fan of LT as a lube owing to its slickness which in my eyes makes for very safe claying.

So, a chunk (about 1/3 or one of the bars) of clay was cut off, folded and moulded out flat and used for claying with very light pressure and plenty of lube...

[​IMG]

Not much was picked up, but the odd bit and piece restored full smoothness to the paint finish once again...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, the finish was evaluated in the lovely sunlight that yesterday provided:

[​IMG]

The whole car was like this, so I will not claim correction here as it simply wasn't needed. Instead, the finish was burnished using Menzerna PO85RD Final Finish on a finishing pad, as follows:

• Spread at 600rpm, 1 pass
    • Begin to work at 900rpm, 2 passes
    • Work at 1200rpm, 4 - 5 passes
    • Work until residue goes clear at 1500rpm, circa 10 passes
    • Refine at 1200rpm, 2 passes
    • Burnish at 900rpm, 2 passes

Working around the car, this left me with this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, it was time to begin the Zaino application process... Now, I worked panel at a time around the car - claying, machining, AIO - so some of the pictures will be at different times of day.

First to be applied was Zaino AIO, used to cleanse the paint and provide the first layer of Zaino sealent. Applied by hand using an Elite white oval foam applicator, it was worked on 2' square sections - spread with circular motions and then worked with medium to firm pressure in straight lines for five or six passes and left a good three quarters of an hour, maybe an hour to dry. It was then buffed off with a microfibre towel (easy so long as you dont over apply), and then the finish was wiped down with Zaino Z6 before the car was put to bed for the night...

Z6 is a bit like Z8 - apply only a couple of light spritzes per 2' square area, wipe clean with one side and switch to dry side of microfibre to buff off...

The results at the end of day 1:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-----------------------------------------------

Day 2 - Zaino Z2 ZFX (2 Layers)

Intended was three layers, but weather was against me today - left me time for two layers though.

Car was first washed with Zaino Z7 to remove any dust and wiped down with Zaino Z6 ready for its sealent layers to begin...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, time for a little chemistry set detailing :D

About 1.5oz of Z2 was added to the mixer bottle (too much in hindsight, three layers still wouldn't have needed all this, and two certainly didn't) along with six drops of ZFX accelerator...

[​IMG]

And the mixture was shaken for a couple of minutes before being applied to the car. Small amount, keeping the layers very thin, it was applied with a Zaino tri foam applicator in circular motions going around the whole car.. The residue took around 40 minutes to fully dry to a haze, at which point (while nervously watching the clouds pass!!) it buffed off with ease on all areas apart from a wee test section where I ladeled it on too thickly (just to see what would happen). After one layer, the whole car was wiped down with Z6 - and on the area where it was too thick, this easily removed the light residue that was left.

This process was repeated once, straight away, and left me with these results on the car...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then this....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So that ended todays fun, as the showers are now quite frequent so no chances of additional layers today... But they will be added (prob one at a time in forthcoming evenings, wiped down with Z6 or Z8 depending on what takes my fancy! :) )

Much of this car remains to be completed - glass, wheels, tyres, rubbers... and these will be done with appropriate Zaino products in future parts, so watch this space.

My thoughts thus far are very positive. On a looks front, for complimenting the machine work gone before it, this is the best LSP system I have used without question. If offers a glassy nuance, very definite change to the finish in the flesh, and combined wettness with depth and gloss... Unlike most LSPs which offer simply one of these nuances, the Z2 has gone a long way to offering all of them!

If I were to pick out poor points, my first would go straight to the spritzer heads on the Z6 and Z8 bottles - Zaino, sort these out!

Another is the beading - if you are a fan of very tight little beads, then Zaino will loose out against some waxes - but it will sheet water very effectively indeed, and it is clear it is offering protection as the car definitely does bead well and sheet well. This reminds me in some ways of Bilt Hamber AutoBalm - not the strongest beading, but superb protection none the less and it, along with Zaino, has a lot more to offer than just beading. But if tight beads are your thing, the Z2 and ZAIO will not offer them to the extent of say ***** Vintage on initial application.

But, in my very humble opinion, nased only on my experiences thus far with the large range of LSP systems I have used and also in my own eyes, Zaino has offered me the best looks wise finish from any LSP system I have used. And it has done so at a much better value than many boutique waxes. And, there is more to come from this finish as more layers of Z2 go on followed by Z8...

Very very impressed thus far, and I would expect to see more detailing with Zaino from me over the coming months. :)

For now though, I hope this thread will prove useful and look out for future parts... and please do come and have a look at the car at meets and see for yourself what Zaino looks like. :)

2. kogenx

kogenx Birth of a Detailer

Nicely Done Dave! Great stuff!:applause:

3. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Well done Dave, great write up!

Zaino on metallic paint = sex.

4. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

It really is great stuff. Z2pro on a perfected dark finish looks awesome. I recently have been doing 2x Z2pro(w/ Z6 between coats) and 2 coats of P21s 100% followed by Z8 and the results are beautiful! The wax IMO gives the finish that extra glow and depth on top of Zaino's amazing clarity and shine. The flake on that Volvo came out sparkling:applause:

5. dogma

dogma Guest

Zaino is awesome on metallic ( I always add ZCS as my last step)

6. littlemissGTO

littlemissGTO Welcome to Detailing

Excellent write up. I have to agree with you Zaino is some great stuff. I'll keep it in my collection at all times.

7. Tonya

Tonya Welcome to Detailing

Very impressive!!! Thanks for sharing!

8. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

Couldn't have said it better myself! I followed almost the same regimen on my Jeep Cherokee and it came out great. Nice work Dave as usual!

9. Divine Detail

Divine Detail DB Pro Supporter

Now you just need to throw on a couple coats of the Z-5Pro and spray down in between and you'll be one VERY happy camper!

10. Woob

Woob Jedi Nuba

Zaino better than Zymol/Swissvax in your experience/preference?

11. jake_b

jake_b Obsessive Detailer

wow! this is a great review of zaino. Dave you're the man!!:applause:

12. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

Grear job, Dave! Reflection shots are the best! Love those beading shots too!
    Question, how fast does Zaino cures with ZFX? Can you top it off with carnauba within an hour? Or do you have to wait 12+hours just like with other sealants?

13. marlcoke

marlcoke Birth of a Detailer

zaino products cure instantly with ZFX.

14. Dave KG

Dave KG Jedi Nuba

Yes - for me, the Zaino LSP system is what has complemented my hard work with a rotary the best... offered the best nuance over the top and the most noticeable enhancement from an LSP (still small, but this is the case with all LSPs). Hasn't muted the flake or in any way muted the clarity of the finish yet also delivered additional gloss, depth and wettness - normally, you'd only get one or at most two of these from waxes I have used but the ZAIO and Z2 have offered them all which is a first for me. I'm truly very impressed. :)

In the pipeline... just need a dry evening :)

Curing wise, as soon as you buff off the residue... The time that residue takes to dry varies though and in Scotland with our typical ambient temperatures being sub-20degC typically, this drying time can be quite long... A good 45 mins for me generally in ambient temps of around 17degC.

15. sly

sly Birth of a Detailer

Thanks for sharing!!!:applause::applause::applause: Looking to see more of your work!!!:headbang:

16. marlcoke

marlcoke Birth of a Detailer

been doing that for quite a while :)

17. supercharged

thanks, Dave.

18. Cody

Cody Virgin Detailer

Awesome job on the Volvo!

I personally think the Zaino does well on metallic flake & on "regular" clear coat paint. I think the key is what you already mentioned; you must begin with a clean/perfect canvas. The depth that Zaino brings out is astonishing.

I disagree with your statement that the Zaino doesn't bead tight. I've been applying layer upon layer on my car for the past 6 months & I have never seen water bead tighter. Here are examples after just one layer of Z5 pro & two layers of Z2: (this is on a 2006 Audi A4 with 38000 miles)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. supercharged

This is the only reason I want to try Zaino - fast setting time.

20. Sparkie

Sparkie Wax on..Wax off

Awesome job, Dave! Reflection shots are killer (outstanding)! You got to love those beading shots!:applause: