DA Backing plate for 5.5inch pads

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by Chaseme, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

What do you guys recommend for 5.5inch pads?

2. Obsessive Detail

Obsessive Detail Pro Detailer - Lifetime Member

I use a 5" bp with 5.5" pads.

3. Erik Mejia

Erik Mejia Obsessive Detailer

4. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

I use the one from lake country. I think its a five inch bp.

5. LostHighway

LostHighway Jedi Nuba

I have a Meguiar's 43-125DAR and a B&S 500Y. The B&S is a bit softer/more compliant than the Meguiar's, especially around the perimeter. I would guess that the Meguiar's might be more durable if you're doing a lot of heavy correction but I haven't had any problems so far with the B&S. I think it comes down to what you like and are used to.

6. RaskyR1

RaskyR1 Jedi Nuba

For the LC foam pads I'll use the standard 5" LC backing plate or the Megs W67DA plate.

For the MF pads I use these new bad boys from Kevin at BuffDaddy. :thumb:

[​IMG]

7. Jokeman

Jokeman Two Bucket System Washer

Chad,
    Whats the deal with those plates? The holes suppose to allow less heat build up in the foam so the pads don't separate?

8. RaskyR1

RaskyR1 Jedi Nuba

Yup, though that was obviously not their design intent. I've never had any issues with pad separation using the W67DA plate but these should run cooler, plus they have support all the way to the edge. According to some testing Jason Rose did on a similar backing plate, temps were reduced by 10-15%.

9. Erik Mejia

Erik Mejia Obsessive Detailer

Chad, what is the diameter measurement of that bp and part no.?

10. RaskyR1

RaskyR1 Jedi Nuba

Not sure on the PN's and I don't think Kevin even has them up on his site yet. They Measure about 5-3/8" after he cuts them down though. Give him a call or shot him and email for more info. ;)

The one on the left is a bit softer and has a longer hook and loop then the one on the right. I've really only been using the softer one so far but it's holding up well and the pad temps were noticeably less.

11. sikedsyko

sikedsyko DB Forum Supporter

I just use whichever backing plate Phil included with my PC when I bought it. Works just fine. I've never had heat problems on a DA.