Cracked Zymol Jar? No Problem!

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by eyezack87, Mar 19, 2009.

1. eyezack87

eyezack87 Guest

This is what happens when you finish finals way earlier than your friends and are officially on your Spring Break :giggle:

So I accidentally dropped my Zymol Creme jar and cracked part of it. Rather than risk it breaking further, I decided to transfer it into a solid jar that pretty much will not break at the height I dropped my creme one at. This is a documented process as I was bored and wanted to do something :shrug:

Here you can see that the 8oz container of Zymol is similar to the 8oz container I bought from Michaels
    [​IMG]

Looking inside both you can see that it'll be a perfect fit

[​IMG]

I transferred the unused wax using a brand new plastic knife as seen here
    [​IMG]

Progress shot
    [​IMG]

All transferred!
    [​IMG]

Packed it down with the knife as best as I could...
    [​IMG]

Then I placed the stickers on there according to how it was on the bottle. Here are the finished container pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thoughts:
    Now it sort of looks like a jar of make up but now there is virtually no risk of it ever breaking again. I'm definitely happy with the outcome. Sure the surface could have been a bit smoother but I apply by hand anyway so its no biggie :thumb:

Last shot with its older brother I got as a sample (Vintage :headbang:) before I threw them back into the refrigerator to cool (warm day today in SoCal). I personally prefer the neutral white look of Vintage in its jar since it doesn't look like makeup to me :crasy:

[​IMG]

If you guys are worried about the seal, its airtight when I did some tests. Also, nothing will happen to the container due to the wax either so its all good yet again :applause2:

2. PhoTuGo

PhoTuGo Jedi Nuba

HAHAH o man it looks way better than before!

3. Erik Mejia

Erik Mejia Obsessive Detailer

Nice save! :applause: Looking good.

4. blas

blas Birth of a Detailer

awesome!

5. Brian N

Brian N Jedi Nuba

Sweet but where did you get the stickers from for the vintage sample? :shead:

6. Buddy

Buddy Getting to know Detailing

Good job...Way to go...:thumb:

7. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Looks better than the original!

8. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

PS: let's start buying Natty's Blue in bulk and selling it to unsuspecting punters as Zymol!!!

9. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Haha, nice job there Isaac. It looks better than how you were describing it to me. :tongue:

Haha, great idea P1et! LoL.

10. Nica

Nica Banned

Looks good :thumb:

11. J BELL

J BELL Nuba Guru

Great save here bud!

12. eyezack87

eyezack87 Guest

Yup, if only the blue tinge wasn't there but oh well, its fixed now :applause2:
    Hehe, thanks :giggle:
    :headbang:
    Remember my Zymol Detail I bought a while back? The sticker size was perfect for the bottle so I grabbed it off there. The jar for Detail got cracked as well so I have to pshop some labels to put on now :p
    Thanks buddy! :thumb:
    :shhh: :)
    Haha, I'm guessing you were thinking..."ghetto mod" :giggle:
    Thanks Carlos :applause2:

13. eyezack87

eyezack87 Guest

Hope some of you are up for some reading. I asked them about recrystallizing the wax into a more solid form instead of slush some time ago. They finally answered, although it did take a long *** time :think:

Original email sent on March 24:
    Reply by Diane on March 24:
    My follow-up email sent on April 7:
    David Dudek's(Tech dude) reply on April 8: Odd how he "immediately" replies huh? :rolleyes:
    My reply to David on April 9 (THURSDAY!!!!):
    Reply from David the following week on April 14:

------------------------------------
    I can't believe it took almost a whole month to get a solid reply to my theory that I had. Definitely not great CS but if they still continue having good waxes I'll buy from them I guess. Definitely not going the Vintage and up route until they fix their problems though. I wish the rest of you the best of luck on your Vintage problems. As for me, I'm gonna slowly heat and repour them into my jars. I'll post pics of the process for you "curious" individuals :2thumbs:

I would also like to add that the "test" batch I did is still working just like the OEM condition it came in. So if you are scared to experiment, then there should be no problems at all :woohoo:

14. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

hmm. i bet they have 8oz containers for polishes so you dont have to carry 32oz bottle around

15. razr007

razr007 Banned

I can't see how heating it to repour would hurt it since they heat to pour in 1st place .

16. eyezack87

eyezack87 Guest

Yup, go to Joannes for some great ketchup style bottles :thumb:
    When remelting the wax, the temperature must be precise. If too hot, the evaporation of the solvents would be much higher than at the "perfect" temperature (only a certain amount of solvent in each wax AKA "buffer zone" so to speak. It didn't really matter for my Creame but for my Vintage, that was a necessity to get that fact cleared up :thumb:

17. razr007

razr007 Banned

so if heat is the big issue for a reheat put in a microwave on defrost which is a cool as heat is concerned.

18. eyezack87

eyezack87 Guest

I found while melting it in a cup of hot water that if you don't stir it it sorta separates a bit more than while stirring it. I guess that a microwave would work but they and some other wax makers suggested a double boiler for best results (my idea was similar to a double boiler). Hope that helps :shrug: