Cracked Collinite 845 bottle - help?

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by krshultz, Oct 22, 2009.

1. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

Gang -

I screwed up this morning, and dropped my bottle of Collinite 845 on the garage floor. It cracked, near the lid. Anybody know a way to transfer the stuff to a different bottle? It's pretty annoying, as the bottle is nearly full.

2. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

just got bottle of 845 from DD today, note to myself "DONT DROP IT"

get new bottle from walmart for example (its in cooking section where ketchup dispenser bottles are) its almost clear with dispensing nozzle. i guess cut bottle in half and use spoon or something to scoop it and put it in new bottle

3. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Use an Exacto knife to cut the top of the bottle off and then use a small rubber spatula to transfer the goods. I do this with EVERY bottle I go through. Hey, every 3oz of polish is enough to do $200 worth of polishing!

4. Dsoto87

Dsoto87 Jedi Nuba

put in a bowl of extremely hot water. Let it soften up to a liquid and than pour it out

5. d00t

d00t Welcome to Detailing

I would think this may mess with the chemical make-up of the sealant, maybe? Like it wouldn't bond back together properly when cooled down. Don't know if it's true, just thinking out loud.

6. froboy272

froboy272 Obsessive Detailer

i used warm water before i waxed my car with 845. it does not need to be extremely hot at all. use warm, let it sit for a few minutes, then like others have said cut the top off and transfer it that way.

7. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

I have alot of 8oz bottles with caps if you need any. I am guessing you have already found a replacement bottle.

8. Dsoto87

Dsoto87 Jedi Nuba

I doubt it, I didnt say to boil it. All im saying is the hot water in the boil will soften up the collinite. Im sure it could reach temperatures just as high on a hot day in some delivery truck.

Im no chemist but Id put my last dollar up that wouldnt affect anything

9. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

Thanks guys - I think I'll transfer it using the spatula technique. :lol:

By the way, I've done the pot of hot water trick with RBOE before, with Ben's blessings. I just melted down my old jar of it, and poured it right on top of the second jar. Worked great.

Thanks for the offer. I haven't done anything with it just yet, but I'm sure I've got a squeeze bottle around here somewhere. If I can't find one, I think they're like $1 at MS.