Corvette wetsand

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by PERFECTION, Aug 27, 2009.

1. PERFECTION

PERFECTION Birth of a Detailer

This is a Corvette that I did in NY customer waited two months after painted for me to come and fix.
    [​IMG]
    Heavy peel. Used 1000 grit 3m then 1500
    3m Extra cut compound and 3m wool pad
    Customer took the car the rest of the way. Pictures only reflect sand and compound.
    Very hard to sand and buff this venting in the hood.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Car had such bad orange peel that it block the car from shining
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Completely sanded and ready to buff
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The customer was very happy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thanks

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      688.9 KB
      Views:
    • 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      774.4 KB
      Views:
  2. flash gordon

flash gordon Banned

:shead: Thats an 82-85 jaguar xjs :duh:

Looks nice though, got more pics :waiting2:

3. PERFECTION

Need help posting pics. Was trying but all i was getting was thumb pics

4. Solidsnake

Solidsnake Jedi Nuba

Yeah thats a Jaaaag, but nice though.

5. flash gordon

flash gordon Banned

Wish I could help ya Bud^^^^^^^^^^^^Can't figure it out myself or I would be showing out also :whistle:

6. Ch40t1c

Ch40t1c Obsessive Detailer

Put the image url between [/IMG ]

Without the space of course

7. You need to use a site like photobucket and use the IMG code like Chaotic said.

8. Domman56

Domman56 Birth of a Detailer

Are you saying it's a vette cause it had a 350 swap in it?

9. PERFECTION

My pics are on flickr. How do I pull them?

10. Ch40t1c

Ch40t1c Obsessive Detailer

They need to be hosted on photobucket and resized as to not be obnoxious in size, I just tried it with your current photo and its giant

11. PERFECTION

I fixed it hope the Jag is not still there. I can see it.

12. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

Dang, that's a great job man.

13. PERFECTION

Thanks. This car was one of the worst repaints I had ever come across.

14. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Very cool, this is the stuff I really like to see. Thanks for posting this.

15. Nica

Nica Banned

Wow that is a bad paint job :shakehead:

I'm curious and please don't take my question the wrong way or think that I'm being disrespectful in any way because I'm not, I'm just curious. I enjoy wet sanding and I wet sand when ever I can but I'm always paranoid about how much clear coat I'm removing, I'm currently working on a vehicle that the owner wet sanded him self because he wanted to remove the orange peal but he wet sanded so much that the went through the clear, through the paint and into the metal...I know...I know but any who when your wet sanding do you use a paint gauge to guide you? The reason I ask is because you can only remove so much and once you go too far well you get results like the vehicle I'm currently working on. I mean, you remove 'x' amount of clear coat via wet sanding, then you have to come back and compound it again removing 'x' amount of clear coat and the finishing steps are very minor but even then your still removing 'x' amount of clear coat. I'm just curious how you gauge the surface that's all, I literally gauge by using my paint gauges. Just curious how you do it that's all...and like I said not trying to put you on the spot or anything like that, there are many many techniques on 'gauging' the surface, I've been shown a few here and there but I'm always hungry for more if you know what I mean ;)

Also why not use a DA sander?

Oh by the way, love the lift :druling: :druling:

16. PERFECTION

Ok. I do use a DA on production cars. Classics and customs I choose to had sand them because I enjoy the ability of doing something not many can do. My clients are looking for flat and flat is what I give them all the way to the edge. We do have gauges and use them when we feel the need. Not to sound like a smart ass. You know how far to go from just doing so many.

17. Nica

Nica Banned

Well that doesn't help..but I do know what you mean, around town I got the opportunity to meet and learn a bit of an old timer that has been detailing for as long as I have been living, no joke..any who he was wet sanding a vehicle, no gauges...no gadgets, nothing just his sanding paper a bucket of water and his hands. Any who I asked him how he knew when he had removed enough, he kept wet sanding and when he removed the orange peal he showed me what it looked like...hard to describe but the surface just looked flat. Then I asked him if he knew how much clear he removed the said approximately 7 to 10microns...the shop where he was working had a gauge I was able to use it and my jaw dropped when I measured an area where it hadn't been wet sanded or touched compared it to where he had most recently wet sanded and sure enough it was within that range. Any who I kept asking question after question after question...some of his answers were just that "you just know". The point is that you just can't explain experience, wish it could be explained though :shead:

Any who thanks for the feed back.

18. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Carlos, like Perfection has said after doing it for so long like we have you just have the knack for it and to me and I think perfection will agree hand sanding works better.

19. flash gordon

flash gordon Banned

She's a beauty, great work :applause:

:shead: I see you've gotten the hang of posting pic's now:giggle:

I tried 1 time for about an hour to post some and got nowhere fast. :confused:

Finally just said screw it. You give me insperation that maybe 1 day I to can post a pic :paranoia:

20. PERFECTION

Carlos that is my goal in wet sanding a car is to make it flat with know peel. That's why the gentleman that you spent time with shared that info. Key for me is to have a small 3m rubber squeegee checking your work constantly till that area is flat and move on to the next panel.

Totally agree AR.

FG. I cheated on posting pics and I will tell you how. PM me.