Connolly

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by yukonon22, May 14, 2008.

1. yukonon22

yukonon22 Wax on..Wax off

Has anybody used the connolly hide cleaning kit? Thing about making a purchase on one.

2. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

I used it...nothing to rave about...stinky kerosene smell, that stays in your car for a while.

3. yukonon22

good thing to know thanks. is there a product that you recommend

4. GBS

GBS Wax on..Wax off

I love Connelly Hide Care and I have used it for years. I have tried a lot of other products but I keep coming back to it. It leaves leather glove soft and looking like new. I speak from many years of experience using it. I would highly recomend it.

5. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

It shouldnt be used on coated leather.

6. yukonon22

thanks. Its between this and leather masters. Connelly does make the best leather in the world, so im really interested in trying it out

7. yukonon22

i do i know if the leather is coated?

8. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

9. jayjacque

jayjacque Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Almost all automotive interior leather is coated. If it weren't you would see some of the natural flaws in the leather rather than a completely smooth and probably grained finish. I'd go with the Leather Masters also.

10. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

I think he means when the leather is "coated" its shiney and not matte.

If u use Conolly on shiny leather it really marrs it up. Otherwise its great.

I like LM also, even though I do think its a tad overhyped. There is yet a "Menzerna" of leather products IMO

11. supercharged

unless you are using it on a Jag, I'd go with Leather Master. Connolly does leaves leather soft, but with my perforated leather interior on both cars, that kerosene smell stay there for a week. I'd rather smell diesel, I hate kerosene. So it scent doesn't bother you, you could try it out, if it does, go with Leather Master.

12. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Use a water-based leather care product (Leather Maters)

Connolly™ Leather:
    Connolly™ Leather:
    This English tannery had been producing and supplying highly finished, oil-based pigmented leather primarily to car manufacturers at two plants, Northampton and Ashford, Kent since 1878. The term is also used to describe the particular brand of leather itself, when fitted in a car interior, as an expression of the quality and luxury status of the vehicle. Only the highest quality top grain (the top 0.05 inches of the hide) was selected for their use, this grade of leather is now only used in less than 10% of automobiles).

Connolly Leather ceased trading in June 2002, but their leather renovation products (replacement leather hides, pigmentation, dyes and etc) can still be obtained from Leather Care Renovations, UK - Leathercare Renovations Leathercare Renovations

The company also sold leather-care products; restoring leather is sometimes known as "Connollising", thanks to the reputation of the company. Connolly Hide Care is a traditional lanolin based leather care product that used to be recommended by Aston Martin, Bentley, Cadillac, Ferrari, Jaguar, Lotus and Rolls Royce and also non-British makes including Lexus and Ferrari and high-end German automobiles, Mercedes-Benz, BMW when these vehicles were upholstered with top grain, oil-based pigmented leather hides. The leather used in current vehicles is a water-based pigmented hide.

Avoid using these types of conditioners for coated leathers, as it contains lanolin, waxy cream and white spirit that can react with the coating used on today’s leather. It's a great product for the renovation or restoration of old English leathers or other uncoated natural leather.

Connolly Leather article - Leathercaredirect.com - History

13. judyb

judyb Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Connolly actually do not exist anymore as they closed in 2002 and there is no connolly leather produced anymore.
    Connolly leather was not of particularly high quality compared to any other it was used in Rolls Royce because their tannery was next to the Rolls Royce factory so it was convenient. Rolls Royce also used other leather from Bridge of Weir etc.

Hide Food should not be used on finished leathers as there is no benefit and the finish may be damaged.

Hope this helps
    Judyb

14. yukonon22

Thanks guys ill order some leather masters then. But my other question is today i was at murrays and saw some lexol, i have been reading a lot of people use this leather system and like it. I used it today and i felt it left my leather without a matte finish and was very sticky. Am i doing something wrong is it just a bad product. To date Zaino is the best i have used.

15. yukonon22

Thanks for the help

16. Nica

Nica Banned

Lexol is quite good, I've used it several times too but yes I too have noticed it seems to leave a bit of a gloss but if you give the leather a couple of wipe downs it should give you that mate finish...some people like shiny some like matte...but I've been quite pleased with how Lexol has performed for me.

You know which other product is quite good and gives a nice matte look too is the Zymol Treat, I've been using it for a bit now and I liked how it finished off the leather....well just my :2cents: though.

17. supercharged

Zymol treat is nice, has a nice banana scent to it, sometimes makes me wonder who left bananas in the car...:deadhorse:

18. yukonon22

Thanks for the help i might give it a try. To date i still love Zaino.

19. infiniti24

infiniti24 Birth of a Detailer

so about what year did the companys switch from oil based hides to water?

aka what cars from what period can i use the Hide food on?

since i put it on my05 m3 i gained nothing but a pita to get it off the leather

how ever on my q45 from 1999 it works great and keeps the leather soft squishy smooth and supple