Compressor or Metro?

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by artemis53, Feb 25, 2013.

1. artemis53

artemis53 Jedi Nuba

I am considering getting one or the other...

I have thought about it and the only real uses I can think of is for dusting interiors and drying cars, but are there other uses for the compressor? I am not thinking I will get any air-tools, like the Rupes 75, so that is not much of a concern.

So, it is down to uses basically...for the two uses listed, dusting and drying, would you rather use a Metro 4hp blower, or an air compressor?

Thanks!

2. HeavyD

HeavyD DB Forum Supporter

Compressor. You think you may not buy air tools.... but you will. dusting interiors with a Tornador,Blasting crud out of seat tracks and tight carpet areas,drying ,then there is applying coatings and dressings with HVLP guns, small air sanders for headlights and polishing(doesnt have to be the Rupes),just having a small impact is golden. The uses of a compressor in detailing are endless. Its a whole different money pit in itself,I myself havent looked back once I got one. Love it.

3. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I have a small. cost effective ( cheap ) compressor for blowing crud out tight areas but other than that, I've never used my compressor for anything else. I love using my Metro Blaster for drying the car though. How big a compressor do you have Darren?

4. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

+1 I have a cheap compressor form Harbor Freight $40 and the Master Blaster 8hp.

5. eShine

eShine DB Pro Supporter

Can't live without a compressor. Can live without a Master Blaster.

6. HeavyD

Ken mine is a 5HP Ingersol and Rand 80 gallon.Its mounted in my basement and plumbed up to 2 retractable lines in garage.Its a sweet setup.LOL And I have a Porter Cable Job Boss. To the OP,You probably dont need anything as big as the first one I mentioned. But there are plenty of options out there for small portable compressors that get the job done. Compressor is FAAAAAAAR more useful than a Metro IMO and can easily be in the same price range.

7. RaskyR1

RaskyR1 Jedi Nuba

Agreed! :)

I have the same IR has HeavyD, but in 60gal! :thumb:

8. 911Fanatic

In all honesty, in 20 years I've never had the need for a compressor. I would like to get a small airbrush, but other than that, not having a compressor hasn't hindered me at all.

9. Dr Oldz

Dr Oldz Birth of a Detailer

The Metro heats the air and aids in drying. That being said............I would invest in a compressor over a metro personally.

10. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

My dog groomer has a metro blaster simply for the fact it doesnt blow cold air. Which is pretty cool, but other then that its rather limited IMO.

As for a compressor I have a small one which I use to blow out grilles etc. But I hardly use it.........

If you are looking to blow off a car, leaf blower.....

Ill take my 30.00 leaf blower any day over a metro. but its personal preference.

11. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

I like the metro masterblaster I use it to dry my vehicles, blow dust off of them prior to using UWW+. I also use it to blow out any remaining dust out of my carpeting after I vac the interior. Another use is putting it on speed one for blowing out vents and electronics. lastly is to dry engine bays after you wash them. So for me it's the Metro master blaster over the compressor

12. Pureshine

Here is one thing I like about the Metro Blaster its much quieter than a leaf blower or a compressor. I run my business out of my garage and the less noise I make the better.

13. piginapoke

piginapoke Obsessive Detailer

There are electric motor compressors that are very quiet, usually expensive though.

14. piginapoke

piginapoke Obsessive Detailer

As for drying a car, leaf blowers are the way to go. However compressors are nice and can serve many more functions, I use mine around 20 times a year between household projects and automotive maintenance/repairs.

15. RaskyR1

RaskyR1 Jedi Nuba

If you can work without it then there is nothing wrong with that. :)

When I first trained how to detail back in '91 we used air for a lot of things. Today I use it to blow out pads and clean interiors...can't imagine doing either of those without it now. I do have a few air tools and paint guns, but I've never not used compressed air on a car, especially when doing interiors.

I had a few months back in 2010 where I detailed out of my front garage while we were painting a car in the shop...it drove me nuts not having air! I tried buying a portable 10lb tank, which was okay, but it emptied so fast that I eventually ended up buying longer air hose to run up to the front garage! :D

16. RaskyR1

RaskyR1 Jedi Nuba

It is a lot quieter...until you hit a panel/edge just right...then you best have your ear protection in! :)

17. Pureshine

I have an electric one and its not quiet at all. The Master Blaster is quieter,faster and more effective than a leaf blower.

18. artemis53

artemis53 Jedi Nuba

Yeah, honestly...I bought a leaf blower once before, and tried it for drying a car...I was completely unimpressed...I returned it that same day and never looked back...it was just way too much noise and maybe it was just the one I bought, but it wasn't very exceptional at moving water, even close up!

I am just torn...I mean...I see the definite advantages of both...the ones I am looking at would both be around the same price range...and can basically both be used for the same uses, except the compressor has a couple more...

The only other uses I would have for a compressor, MAYBE...that a Metro could not perform is possibly the opti-bond gun, or similar...and small air sander/polisher of some kind...I do not want a Tornador and do not use air impacts on any car, for stuck lugs, I have a 1/2" and 3/4" breaker bar that I welded some steel pipe on for an extension...it has never had even the slightest of problem with even the most stubborn of bolts.

19. 911Fanatic

So buy both. You know you want to. Hell, we know you want to.

20. HeavyD

Blasphemy!! LOL Well my friend,the final decision is up to you anyways. I have always gotten great detailing advice here BUT never had a detailing buddy that tried to save me money. anyways,with that said all these turkeys have got me thinking about the Master Blaster. See how that works LOL