collinite on sale at proper auto

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by richy, Feb 9, 2010.

1. richy

richy Guest

I just got an email saying Collinite products are on sale at proper auto. I've always wanted to try the liquid Collinite and I see there are 2...the old standby insulator wax (845) and I see there is a liquid sapphire wax (ss-126). Anyone have any experience with the liquid sapphire? Also, how is there metal polish and leather treatment?

2. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Just got that email as well Richy, 845 is the shizzzzzzz!!!!!!

Liked it better than liquid sapphire, but have not used it in a long time.

Also free shipping over $39

3. Duratys

Duratys Welcome to Detailing

I was currious on the 126 as well.

4. richy

richy Guest

After I posted, I pulled up the product descriptions on both and the sapphire says it's NOT recommended on dark coloured clear coats....845 it is then. What about the metal or leather products...anyone try those?

5. TLMitchell

TLMitchell Birth of a Detailer

Liquid Sapphire is a cleaner wax... and a pretty stout cleaner at that. We used to use it on commuter aircraft that don't see much downtime so there wasn't much time devoted to keepin' 'em pretty. Used to hit 'em with Sapphire with 9" wool and rotaries, no wash, no dry. Most of the finishes were Imron which is pretty hard. The stuff cut through the grime and left a shiney finish and some visible wax protection. It had no problem cutting through the exhaust stains on the engine nacelles which was traditionally a real chore to get off. IIRC, it was pretty crusty stuff around screws and rivits... you had to have a toothbrush in your back pocket.

The stuff didn't work as well for autos. I once used it on an oxidized Cavalier with a light polishing pad and it looked pretty good... indoors. In direct sunlight it was induced swirl-city. Haven't used it on a car since. I could see a shadetree weekend waxer using it by hand on his Checker or Desoto for it's every-two-year shine but I can't envision it being anything a real detailer-type would use.

FWIW, 925 Marine Wax is the equivilent of 845IW. I occasionally see 925 in bargain bins for under ten bucks. If you never tried 845IW you're missing the boat! You may end up asking yourself why you've been spending money on the higher priced stuff. :thumb:

TL

6. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

Indeed. I've had the reps at Collinite confirm this as well.

I think 845 and 915 are absolute essentials, and quite possibly all the wax you need.

7. Cooter

Cooter Guest

Thats some pretty nice prices with that free shipping over $39.

8. GBS

GBS Wax on..Wax off

You can't go wrong with 845. I have also used their 850 Metal Polish/Wax. It works well and does live a wax coating that does add a layer of protection that other metal polishes don't have.

9. outlawtim

outlawtim Virgin Detailer

Collinite 845IW is some really good stuff.I really enjoy using it alot. One of my favorite combinations is using Automagic #90 XPSwirl Remover and then use 845. Have used 845 with Duragloss, Ardex Glazes, Hi-Temp's Paint Profection and other polishes. And to me it is hard to beat. I know the products that I have mentioned or not the 100.00 products or more, But for me it does very well. Just wanted to share my thoughts on it.

10. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

roger is selling 126. as far as i read its for white cars or something. how is their cleaner ?
    Collinite Sapphire Color-up Prewax Cleaner No. 840

11. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

I have 12oz of SS126 for sale :D

12. c32AMG-DTM

c32AMG-DTM Birth of a Detailer

A seller on ebay used to sell a "Collinite Trio" of 845, 476s, and 915 for a really good price + free shipping, bought mine from there a year or so ago, and the goods were delivered timely and as advertised. Just "FYI" for anyone who wants an assortment of Colli to try out. :thumb:

13. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

^^got all 3 of those.

cool another person in philly

%15 off is ok. but Phil usually has better prices i think. of it you not lazy you can get it locally usually

14. barrym

barrym DB Forum Supporter

You can still get 845 on ebay for around $13 shipped - that's where I got mine. Great deal.

I think the trio was around $45 shipped. The three of them would last a long time...! :)

15. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

+1. I believe TL and I had a discussion about this over on detailuniversity a while back. I won't say it's the best wax lookswise, but cost/look ratio makes it an unbelieveable value. I use it as a base coat for almost everything. I normally use it in place of a sealant.

16. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

845 on its own seems like it is missing something when I used it on my red GTI, but added a coat of Insignis to it and looks perfect to me...but still have the piece of mind I had 845 protecting from the salts and what not in case Insignis wanted to call it quits.

Its a wax every detailer should have along with RBOE.

17. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

Exactly my reasoning too. 845 topped with Lusso Oro is AMAZING. I used that combo last winter on an F250 I detailed.

18. TLMitchell

:thumb:

I was disappointed the first time I used 915. I topped the 845 and it appeared the gloss was muted somewhat. Definitely lost some slickness and the beading wasn't quite as insane. For the extra bit of effort 915 takes being a paste I didn't think it was worthwhile for my particular application on white. As for longevity, I think it was a tossup. On darker colors however, 915 adds mucho depth!

TL

19. TLMitchell

If that's the guy from Ohio I discovered he's 15 miles down the road from me. I ended up driving over to pick up some 845 and picked up a tin of 915 for 20 bucks while I was there. He's definitely got the best shipped-price for Collinite I've seen online. 845 is all over the place OTC but some of the others aren't as easy to find.

TL

20. richy

richy Guest

Thanks for all the input guys. I ended up ordering the 845 the leather conditioner and the metal polish. I had to add a 3 pack of mf to the order to get the $39...I was under a dollar short of it....it was worth it with the free shipping though, it's like I got the mf's for free.