Collinite 915 vs 476s

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by RamSus, Oct 21, 2008.

1. RamSus

RamSus Jedi Nuba

I have read conflicting reviews about Marque D'Elegance (No. 915) vs Super Doublecoat Auto Wax (No. 476s), so, I wen to the source & popped the question & wanted to share the response I got from Collinite:

" Thanks for your interest in Collinite products. The #476s & #915 are basically the same product except the #915 has approximately 24% more carnauba wax in its formulation and has a coconut fragrance to it. Many people believe the #915 is easier to use. Appearance wise their isn't a major difference between the two but there is in price. To be honest you can't go wrong either way.

Mike Oczkowski
    Customer Service"

2. Buddy

Buddy Getting to know Detailing

Thanks RamSus, I was wondering about the 915. I'll give that a go next time. The 845 is no longer. The smell is terrible...:gasp:

3. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

I never really found 915 to be so pleasant smelling. Although 845 does smell like gasoline and depleted Uranium, you get used to it. I was always under the impression that 476 and 845 were the most similar. And of course 925 is 845, as stated by Collinite themselves.

4. akimel

akimel Birth of a Detailer

I had to chuckle with your "gasoline and depleted uranium" remark. Not only does one get used to it, but one can even begin to like it. I know, sick and bizarre. :yikes:

But the best thing about 845 is the ease of application. It's important to apply a thin layer, and this is just so easy to do, given how slippery the stuff is. Easy to apply, easy to remove. I like it a lot. But my applicator pad now permanently smells of solvent.

A comment about 476 and 915. If the latter has 24% more carnauba, as stated by the Colllinite customer service, then the two products are clearly not identical, no matter how indistinguishable the appearance they create on our cars. 24% more carnauba is not an insignificant difference. What I find interesting is that the increase in carnauba does not, apparently, result in an increase in durability. According to the Collinite website, the 476 lasts about a month more than the 915.

Al

5. Buddy

Thanks for all info Al. Did they have anything to say about the 855 paste wax. I go to AutoZone and buy a six pack of terry applicators and throw them away when I'm done with the 845. Infact I had to give up on the 845 it was making me real sick.

6. green dimnd

green dimnd Birth of a Detailer

I wholeheatedly agree. I also got the same info from Collinite, that they're essentially the same, except for the canauba content and the scent. But 24% is a big difference. I also wonder about durability claims. If they don't see any difference between the two products, how much stock can we put in their durability assessments.

7. akimel

Buddy, all I know (which ain't much!) is what I've learned from the Collinite website and from email correspondence. You might want to check out their FAQ page (FAQs about Collinite Wax Products). They are also very good at answering emails.

If 845 makes you ill, stay away from it. The solvent odor is indeed pungent. I confess I use a latex glove when applying the stuff.

8. Buddy

Thank you,I just wanted to know if you knew anything off the top off your head and I beleive I mentioned I had to give it up and I will be staying away from it for sure.Wearing gloves is a smart move on your part.I'm starting to wear gloves more and more.:thumb:

9. heatgain

heatgain Guest

If I were they, I'd also say there's not a significant difference between 915 and 476s. If they claimed that 915 was way better, sales of 476s would suffer. Essentially, they'd be telling you not to buy 476s.
    From the little I've learned reading the home-made wax threads, the more carnauba is added to the mix, the more solvents are added to make the carnauba workable. More solvents = less durability. I'm guessing that's why 476s will last longer than both 915 and 845.
    Durability claims from all companies are....well...ambitious. Durability goes down if: car is exposed to the sun/rain/weather; car is driven daily; how many times you wash it; car is not garaged, etc.
    What can I say, I'm pragmatic. :shrug:

10. RamSus

RamSus Jedi Nuba

You got a point there. Wisely said.

11. shiny

shiny Jedi Nuba

The products could still be very similar if the carnauba content in 476 was initially very low. i.e. if the carnauba content in 476 was 1% and 915 has 24% more, that only puts it at 1.24% carnauba content -- which would be very similar.

12. akimel

I certainly do not disagree with the commendation of a healthy skepticism directed to the claims of manufacturers about their products, but in this case I lean toward giving Collinite the benefit of the doubt. #476 retails for $15.99; #915 retails for $29.99, almost twice as much! You would expect 915 to be superior in every way to justify to the consumer this price difference, yet Collinite publicly admits that 915 is not quite as durable as 476. One has to admire their honesty, since the admission does not benefit the selling of the significantly more expensive product. I'm sure they would prefer to sell one tin of 915 rather than one tin of 476. So when Collinite says that 476 is more durable than 915, I tend to believe them.

Of course, I am one of the suckers who is born every minute. :dupe:

13. akimel

Good point. One wonders what benefit, if any, the additional carnauba brings to 915. Is it just marketing? In any case, both 476 and 915 enjoy strong reputations that have been earned over the years. I have used neither product, though. 915 did very well in Dave KG's wax test, published over at Detailer's World. It is both less expensive and more durable than most boutique carnauba waxes, and yet creates an appearance that stands up well against them. Pretty impressive. And if 476 creates an appearance that is equal to 915, well, that is even more impressive. One day I will have to try one or the other.

Al

14. GBS

GBS Wax on..Wax off

I think 915 is a great wax especially for the price but it does not smell like coconut to me.

15. ScottieB

ScottieB Jedi Nuba

I am pretty new to this world. I put 915 over Jetseal109 on my wife's gold Saturn. I am very impressed with the shine the car gives off.

16. Buddy

You're off and running already with Jetseal 109 and 915. Keep up the good work and ask us what you want to know...:thumb:

17. Purplewidow

Purplewidow Obsessive Detailer

guys they are the same then pretty much.. i mean we are talking nuba content difference..not a different formula containing different amounts of oils or solvents and types of oils or solvents.. all they did was bump the nuba content.. not change other aspects of the formula.. and if he says basically the same i would believe the cr rep.. basically why would he lie and his job is to make the user knowledgeable with good honest info that will help. so if he says basically the same i am sure he has seen a bunch of tests and so on that we haven't.

18. Bull6791

Bull6791 New Member

Hi. I wanted to know how would JetSeal 109 with Collinite 476 wax on top be for a silver car.