Collinite 845 Why use anything else?

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by Max405, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Max405

Max405 DB Forum Supporter

I put to 2 coats on my Silver SRX a couple of weeks ago. Highly impressed with the smoveness and beading. So far, all pro's no cons.
    From what I've read, this wax is a legendary winter wax. From my personal experience, it is:
    -Cheap
    -Easy to apply (with a PC)
    -Easy to remove with any Microfiber
    -Doesnt stain trim
    -Did I mention Cheap?
    -Shines like a mofo
    -Feels amazingly slippery and smooth

So... Why isnt this a more popular wax for all seasons? I realize it smells like bug spray. Its not the sexiest bottle I've ever seen.

Why isnt this wax the only wax anyone ever uses?

Thanks, Joe D.

2. luke093

luke093 Welcome to Detailing

Sometimes I ask the same question... Its right on top of my lists of best products.

3. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

Because some people want a deeper wetter look from a different carnauba even if durability doesn't last as long, thats why they don't only use 845. 845 is great as a base for another wax that adds more depth to the paint. But if you haven't corrected the finish or not looking to in the future. Then 845 is good enough for those who don't like to wax often, but want great protection and a little shine.

4. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

It's definitely a great sealent and probably one of the best/affordable/most versatile LSP's out there. But being detailers or at least hobbyists we can't help but try different methods, products, and so forth. As good as it is, we never stop trying new things. Powerlock is dominant too.

5. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

I have two non-metallic black vehicles. After putting one or two layers of 845 on the vehicles, at certain angles, I at times can see streaking. Drives me insane.

For me, Power Lock is an easier to use product. I also think it looks better.

6. richy

richy Guest

For customers' cars, it is the bomb. The only negative I have found is that in the summer when it's very humid, removal can be difficult. The surface will look streaky after you remove it. Other than that, I love it.

7. GDAL

GDAL Guest

I have sold most of my wax collection because 845 is the ideal wax for DDs. I don't have or detail fancy cars. I don't have time to wax every time I wash the car. 845 and OCW/Aquawax are everything that I need for my daily drivers. I still own a few nice waxes that I use whenever I have extra time.

My only issue with 845 is that it's too blingy on darker non-metallic colors. I sold my non-metallic car months ago, so 845 works great for my both of my light-colored vehicles.

8. Socal Brian

Socal Brian DB Forum Supporter

already have plans to pick up a bottle with my next order!

9. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

Too blingy?
    You mean it has a deep shine?

I purchased some a month and a half ago, but haven't been able to use it due to winter slamming me so quickly.

10. Max405

Max405 DB Forum Supporter

So far, I've tried it on A bright Silver, Medium Grey and Deep Burgandy Red car. I am kinda anal with my cars and I make sure the finish is always polished down where there are very few imperfections. I always clay because I dig on the smoothness factor. So all things being equal, I am blown away by the shine and depth I got with the 845. Its really good stuff.
    Bug spray smell aside, the only other shortcoming is its either watery when its warmed, or it coagulates when its too cold. So I keep it in a warm tub of water when i am working on the car. Otherwise, I am very impressed. I almost feel like I am "obligated" to use my fancy wax as a topper. I saw absolutely no difference on the Medium grey car after topping it with my Concorso.
    I also bought a bottle of Power lock too. I will try that after I grind off the 845.. I get the feeling it will end up being even easier to work with, especially if its anything like the Blackfire Wet Diamond.

Thanks GDAL, Richy, P1et, chas, Danny and Luke 093.

Joe D.

11. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

I promise you Joe, you will love Power Lock. By far the easiest sealant I've used to apply and remove. And you like slick? You'll love it!

12. GDAL

GDAL Guest

it was way too glossy on my non-metallic black.

13. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

What's with 8454 streaking? I encounter that from time to time.

14. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

you're probably putting it on too thick, or putting too much on. i had that problem on my black metallic gti when putting it on by hand, but now that i put it on insanely thin with my griots, i havent had that problem once on my car, other black cars, or any car for that matter. either way, a simple QD or preferrably a wipedown with distilled water will take care of any streaking you may have.

on the topic, 845 is what i reach for 99 percent of the time now, no matter what car or color im working on. been that way for quite a while now too. all around i think it is hands down the BEST LSP out there. cheap, looks great, bulletproof, easy to use, and can be topped with a nice 'nuba if you feel like it, or if you feel "obligated" to use whatever high end wax you may have. if i top 845, its really not to improve the looks much, but moreso as a sacrificial layer to add more durability. 2 coats of 845 and youre basically bulletproof. 2 coats topped with a nice nuba, is even better, but not really necessary, as the durability of 2 coats is already insane. heck, i always have a hard time stripping ANY amount of 845 off during a wash stage. only til i clay and/or do IPA wipedowns will 845 give up.

i have 4 or 5 bottles on hand at all times :headbang:. call me crazy, but i do go through it hella quick.

15. JonM

JonM Guest

Joe, now its time for 915. Durability of 845, but you feel like you're using a special wax. I swear if Coli wanted to, they could put 915 in a nicer jar, rename it and add some fruity smell and brand it as a Swissvax competitor. Funny thing is, it WILL outlast any Swissvax IMO.

16. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

915 and 845 are great waxes. I'd have 915 still if the underside lid of my jar didn't rust up. Make sure you have it on tight.

17. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Agree fully. I used 845 one time on my black car and will never use it again because it streaked badly. Plus it smells like ass.
    :thumb:

18. Tire Shredder

Tire Shredder Jedi Nuba

agreed it can be a pain in the ass if your mobile, and the car you are doing is black.

I've topped it with WMF and a 'nuba, both give wicked, although different looks. thing is, a couple coats of it on it's own it looks great too!

I went through three bottles of the stuff this summer.

Billy, I 100% agree with you. With regards to durability, I did some spot scratch removal on an 08 mustag and coated with 845. I came back 4 months later to detail the whole vehicle. 3 treatments of zep citrus did nothing to it. it took two heavy doses of IPA to take most of it off, and some claying! I was amazed at resistant it was to heavy cleaners. it truely is "solvent resistant" like they say

19. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

so was that the only time you ever tried it?

20. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

I've never had a problem with it either. Used it on my mom's black Expedition, a black Vette, and a black F-150. Maybe got a bad batch. I used it very very thin.