Collinite 845 problem?

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by Ian, May 13, 2010.

1. Ian

Ian Jedi Nuba

So I detailed a black Lincoln town car about 2 weeks ago, wash, clay, 1 step polish and waxed with Collinite 845 Insulator wax. Long story short, The car was then left outside for 2 weeks before he could come a pick it up. Mean while the weather here has been extreme pollen, a minute of rain then hot sun repeatedly. He finally came and picked it up at night and a couple days later he takes it to the car wash to get the polen off, after washing it the car looked like it had white water spots on the surface? So now he was kinda blamming the collinite, he said he had his boat detailed and the collinite always chaulks up on boats so he thinks it's doing the same thing on his car. I never had a problem with collinite for all the years I have been using it.
    I personaly think it was the weather and not taking care of the car after and leaving it for 2 weeks in kinda extreme weather. Also it was only on the hood, roof and truck.

So has anyone ever had a problem with Collinite 845?

2. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

so you detailed the guys car and then he took it to the car wash afterwards!!?? regardless, i highly doubt the issue is due to the collinite. i cant even fathom how 845 would magically create white water spots. sounds like its just from moisture or water mixed with dust and pollen that had been sitting on the car for a couple weeks in the sun and heat to me.

3. willjco

willjco DB Forum Supporter

I have never had that problem. I would say that it is just pollen/water spots due to improper maintenance. 845 has never given me a problem and will be my go to wax for a while

4. anbuzero

anbuzero DB Pro Supporter

he sounds like a dumbass. i dont understand people that will have the car detailed for x amount and then undo it all by going to a car wash. my guess is the car wash he went to recycles their water and something was still in it. could be that the water was acidic and it stripped the 845 off. also could be that the water was soapy and its just that. then again im not there and i dont know the car wash, just my guess

edit: i missed the part where it had also rained while it sat there. my second guess will be that as billy said the rain mixed with the pollen and whatever crap was on there and it backed on from the sun, and possibly etched into the paint.

5. Ian

Ian Jedi Nuba

Yea haha, He is really busy all the time, he sells yacht's mostly in FL. ( we live in CT. ) He also didn't pick up the car because he bought his wife a brand new Mercedes Benz, and trying to sell this lincoln and one of his trucks, plus he has another newer daily driver. So he didn't really have the room at his house for another car. He took it to the car wash to clean it up so he can takes pics. to post online to sell it. I would of addedall that but Ididn't want you guys to get lost in the original post.

So yes, that's what I was thinking. I ended up claying the whole car again, polished the hood, roof and trunk and then waxed with Einsett Glanz, since he doesn't seem to like Colinite?!

6. Ian

Ian Jedi Nuba

I wasalso thinking on top of all the pollen, rain, sun issue is that he might have automatic sprinklers at his house and that water could have a lot of calcium in it and gotten on the car causing water spots.

7. Ian

Ian Jedi Nuba

Just found this, thanks togwt!
    Pollen isn't removed by air friction as you drive because it adheres to a surface with microscopic barbs that can attach to even a very slightly uneven surface. Carnauba wax molecules, which are closed linked, which means that they only butt up together to protect the surface. They align themselves to form an egg-grate type structure (with their long axis vertical) this is what gives it depth. This mesh-like structure allows the exine or barbs of the pollen to gain a hold and adheres to a natural wax better than a synthetic polymer.

and, No wax or polymer sealant can provide a permanent shield against: Micro gametophytes (pollen) Collinite 845 Insulator Wax is probably the most durable Carnauba wax product and / or Finish Kare FK425 Detailing Spray; but either of these may only provide enough of a barrier to enable it to be removed quickly before causing too much damage to the paint film surface

8. richy

richy Guest

Ian...I'm glad you found Jon's article b/c I was going to say that the problem is not the Collinite but rather the pollen. Someone on here did a test with LSP's and Collinite was the best against pollen, but even it did was not able to withstand its ravages. It's just nasty stuff. Other than maybe topping it some AW or something given the delay in him picking up the car, i don't know what else you could have done.