Collinite 476S alternative (easier to apply)?

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by Kaban, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

Hey guys,

What are your favorite long lasting waxes or sealants?

I am looking for something that is easy to apply and buff off but lasts as long or longer then the 476S.

It must also be affordable (I can't afford waxes that are over $50 at the moment because I am broke graduate student).

I was looking at Prima Epic.... does that last long? I like how it has anti-dust properties.

2. luke093

luke093 Welcome to Detailing

Iw845 :D

3. lasthope05

lasthope05 Jedi Nuba

Collinite Liquid Fleet wax #870.

476S and 885 (Paste Fleet wax) are the same product but are marketed for different applications so naturally the liquid version would essentially be the same. To be sure I would contact Collinite directly first.

4. Kaban

lw? I have a few bottles of 845 but I was under the impression that it doesn't last as long as the 476.

5. Kaban

Have you personally used 885? Why should I contact collinite?

6. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

collinite 476s is not that hard to apply/remove...if you are looking for durability, 845 is also very durable, but probably not as durable as 476s, although only a side by side test can prove that...Duragloss 601/105 is also very durable combo for $20, and so is Klasse AIO and SG...otherwise, you might wanna try out nano coatings, like Cquartz, Aquartz for the price...

7. lasthope05

lasthope05 Jedi Nuba

Havent personally used 885 but I do have 476s and 845. I heard directly from Collinite that 885 is the same exact product but marketed for boat and aeronautical use so I was recommending to you the liquid version which should be the same since you like 476s. Thats why I recommend you contact collinite first to confirm to make up of liquid fleet wax.

Between 845 and 476s, I havent really noticed either standing above each other in terms of durability. They were about the same.

8. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I find that either 476 or 845, when applied properly, are fairly easy to use with 845 being a bit easier as its a liquid. As for durability, I find 476 is a we bit more durable. As Supercharged said, the DG 601/105 combo is dirt cheap and has great durability.

9. piginapoke

piginapoke Obsessive Detailer

buy some power lock and call it a day, or try Glanz wax.

10. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

durability is nowhere near Collinite waxes on either of those two...

11. Kaban

This is what worries me about Powerlock. I wonder if my BFWD sealant lasts long on paint. So far I have only used it on windows.

12. Kaban

Thank you for clearing that up. So basically, I would be looking at the #870 (liquid version of the paste fleet wax)?

13. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

I had two coats of BFWD on my black mustang gt that lives out side 24/7 in the extreme desert heat (100+ degrees) and with only weekly washes it lasted me 5 1/2 months I would defiantly coat it if you have it plus the look is great. This product should be used on more than just your windows:)

14. piginapoke

piginapoke Obsessive Detailer

Power lock lasted a month longer than two coats of 845 on my truck, no garage, through a Connecticut winter. I did a side by side on the hood( sorry i didnt take photos). This year I am gonna try PL with 915 on top, I dont own any 476 or I'd top with that.

15. JohnnyT

JohnnyT Virgin Detailer

+1

If you want double the work at double the cost, then go with one of those two.

16. nothelle

nothelle Birth of a Detailer

I'd say Meguiars M16, but seeing you're in the state, any of the collinte waxes will do.

Oh don't bother going with Menz Power Lock if you already have BFWD, i find both of them are similar in every aspect...

17. Kaban

Thank you my friend.

I do want to mention that 476S applied with a DA buffer allows you to put on a really thin coat which is EXTREMELY easy to buff off by hand with a MF towel afterwards. The only issue with that is I don't always want to reach for the buffer just to put on wax or sealant, I usually reserve that for when I finish polishing and since the machine is out anyways I use it to put on an LSP.

18. nothelle

nothelle Birth of a Detailer

Well have to agree with you on D/A waxing, been doing that with any waxes: paste/liquid, and it'll deliver a better finish, or if not easier buffing. Even with hard-to buff waxes like 476 or M16.