Coatings and car dusters

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by Max405, May 13, 2011.

1. Max405

Max405 DB Forum Supporter

Hi,
    I have a question.
    Are the new coatings (like AQuartz and CQuartz) effective at eliminating the "sleaks" caused by using any of the car dusters on the Market? I am extremely anal with the finish on my cars. The everyday dust, pollen, etc make me wash my cars more often than I should. In the past, Ive used car dusters to only find that I need to polish out the sleeks within a short period of time.

Are these hard coatings effective for eliminating sleaks?

Thanks, Joe D.

2. irontree

irontree Two Bucket System Washer

What is a sleek?

3. JoeyZ

JoeyZ Obsessive Detailer

If you are really that anal, you will NEVER use a "duster" of any sort. All the hype about those things, and they do nothing but drag contaminants over the surface. I just deal with the pollen and wait to wash with water.

4. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

The newer nano coatings have a higher scratch ( if that is what a 'sleek' is) resistance ( anti-scratch Absolute Hardness - 48) than polymer sealants or waxes (inorganic or organic)

5. Wheelz25

Wheelz25 Jedi Nuba

Agree....sometimes as they say "less is more". I wouldnt touch the car until I am ready to wash it down properly. touching the paint more often with qd, dusters, etc will only cause headaches in the long run. Let the paint be a little dirty, it will be ok in the meantime.

6. Max405

Sorry, I just looked up the word in a dictionary and it wasnt there. SO... It is a word that I made up years ago that means microscopic little scratches on the paint surface.
    Embarrassing. All these years I thought that was a real word. I probably have a bunch more of those so bare with me... JD

7. JoeyZ

JoeyZ Obsessive Detailer

This is funny. LOL.

8. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

Get a wool duster from the wool shop its exactly like the Zymol duster and it works great without scratching. Or get PW and a foam cannon this is really the safest route. If your going to be washing more than once a week.

9. Max405

Thanks Bro. JD

10. Max405

From the responses it seems like the consensus is the hard coatings are not going to help eliminate the micro scratching. Has anybody actually used the coatings who can confirm that? I honestly thought that this is precisely the kind of thing that the coatings were made for.
    Phil, what do yiu think? (I've been saving that one...)
    Thanks, Joe D.

11. JoeyZ

JoeyZ Obsessive Detailer

Full of them today i see. Love it.

12. froboy272

froboy272 Obsessive Detailer

wow that was nice work. i really just laughed out loud at my desk.

as for your question i find that a cannon and power washer alone dont get the paint clean enough that i feel comfortable drying it without scratching it. I was going to look into a CR Spotless system for this exact reason so i can foam it, rinse it, blow most of the water off, and walk away.

13. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

Max405 are you stopping by for the BBQ tomorrow?

I just did the aquartz on my car last night and the pollen is building up. You can take an uber wool duster to it.

If not I will tomorrow to see what I get.

14. richy

richy Guest

I just use ONR regularly on my coated cars.

15. Max405

Phil, Honestly I didnt know there was a barbeque. Its my sons Birthday party tomorrow and to top it off, its my god-daughters 1st holy communion right after that. I am sorry to miss the bash, 2 years running.
    Could you let us know how the coatings hold up?
    Thanks Phil,
    Joe D

16. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

sure thing I have nanolex on the wife's , aquartz on mine, and prior to selling it I had opti coat.

well you won't miss our 2nd annual customer appreciate bbq next week.

17. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

I'm going to start using the term. Maybe we can get it into the detailer vernacular for you.

In fact, I have a bunch of sleeks in my personal car and it's been killing me all spring (see here).

18. obsidian LGT

obsidian LGT Birth of a Detailer

Seriously, get the zymol wool hair duster (or comparable wool hair) and some ONR. That's really all you need! I hit my car and bike about every other day in the spring / summer with the duster, and I've yet to identify a scratch / imperfection caused by the zymol duster. You just have to be gentle with it, and remember to turn it with every swipe and spin it between your hands often to shake loose the contaminants.

19. Max405

I'll try this. Thanks for the tip. I love this place!
    Joe D

20. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

The one from the wool shop is exactly the same for 1/3 of the price I have two.

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk