Clear Bra Hazing... how to attack?

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by brianja, Mar 24, 2008.

1. brianja

brianja Jedi Nuba

My father had one of his cars stored for the winter and recently uncovered it now that the weather is getting warmer.

This is the only one of his cars with a clear bra on it and over the winter all of the film developed a white haze. The car was kept in a temperature controlled garage with a car cover (manufacturer supplied) all winter.

Any idea why the film hazed up?

How should it be treated to get it back to clear? Can you use a polish like Menz IP on clear bra material?

He's not pleased :( (understandably). This car is one of his babies.

He is an avid Zaino user and said that a quick coat of Z2 helped "a little".

Ugh.

Please help!

Thanks.

2. m4gician

m4gician Birth of a Detailer

Two things, either there was an LSP on the car before the clear bra went on, or two, try using 106ff or plastix to fix it.

3. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

I would hit it with a polish.

4. brianja

brianja Jedi Nuba

Could be, but the clear bra went on before the car was delivered, 2 years ago. Can't imagine it would have not showed till now.

He said it is on the surface of the film.

Hmm.

I don't have plastix, but I will give 106FF a shot.

That's what I am going to do.

Do you guys think I should do it by hand, or machine?

5. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

Before you hit it with 106FF, try some Klasse AIO on it if you have some. That's what I used on my clear bra to remove a mosquito blood stain. I used a white 3.5" beveled pad on my polishing pal.

6. Nica

Nica Banned

Yes, I agree with MadOzodi try the Klasse AIO first with a Finishing pad and a DA or a Rotary but if you go with a Rotary lower the rpm and speed up the passes a bit more...too much heat on the clear bra can either melt it or seperate it from the surface.

But you can use any polish on the clear, 106, 85RD...ect..ect..ect..you can use anything on it but be as gentle as possible...well just my :2cents:

7. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Clear bra polishing- Menzerna PO 85 RD3.01 LC Blue foam pad 1000 RPM do not use any downward machine pressure and maintain a fast linear motion

8. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

Good to now for the future! :thumb:

9. agentf1

agentf1 Jedi Nuba

What type of film is it and how old is it. I hear the Avery film will lose its gloss after so long. I am hoping it isn't true since that is whats on my 335i.

I have 3m film on my L and it is starting to crack after 4 yrs. They are supposed to come out and replace it under warranty.

10. uzj100

uzj100 Jedi Nuba

This hazing seems to happen from time to time and is I think related to the characteristics of the film itself because it's porous? (an expert can chime in I'm sure). In any case, I had the same issues a couple of times and I did an IPA wipedown and let it sit out in the sun for most of a day, then did the AIO treatment. This worked on my film (Venture). I use either Klasse or Werkstatt on the film now, though over time I think some "dulling" might be normal? Also, I've found that scratches seem easier to remove if the film is warmed a bit from the sun.

HTH