Clear Bra application?

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by MINIz guy, Oct 8, 2011.

1. MINIz guy

MINIz guy Two Bucket System Washer

I've never had issues putting vinyl on small objects but am having one hell of a time putting a clear bra on headlights to a 2003 X5. The slight curvature of the lens is really making it hard to put on easily.

I'm putting water on the lens and the vinyl but some parts stick quicker than others causing me to have puddles of water trapped inside; when I try to pull it off and redo, the adhesive hazes on the light and that sheet is ruined.

Any tips for me? I'm doing it by myself with a blow dryer to try and heat up the vinyl. Would a second helper be all I need or is there a technique to the application I'm missing?

2. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

I think people use diluted dish soap or something like that to help keep the film from adhering before positioning. Then a squeegee is used to pull the mix out from under the film and remove air pockets and let the film set.

But I'm no pro. I just recall seeing this done once.

3. piginapoke

piginapoke Obsessive Detailer

I have tinted 50 or so cars and I always used distilled water with just enough soap to make it feel slipperry between your fingers, to little and it sticks, too much and it will leave a haze under your film. Goodluck.