Cleaning Windows

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by Solidsnake, May 20, 2009.

1. Solidsnake

Solidsnake Jedi Nuba

The way I've been taught to clean windows is spray it with windex, wipe it with a sheep-skin shammy then go over it with a microfiber.

Is there any other (better) way to do it because sometimes there are a few smudges that I end up noticing after I've finished detailing my car. Also, are there any other window products that are good or better than windex? I have Invisible Glass which is a foamy spray but I've never tried it on a car. Any help would be nice. Thanks.

2. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

Stoners invisible glass is one of the best out there in my opinion. Check out detailers domain and pick yourself up some of his uber glass towels and you won't have to worry about those stray streaks anymore.

3. d00t

d00t Welcome to Detailing

Stoners invisible glass, w/DD glass towel. Then follow it up with DI/Distilled water and another glass towel. No streaks :).

Lately, I've just been polishing windows, and then a DI wipe down, instead of just cleaning them wit Invisible Glass though.

4. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

I just tried Sprayway for the first time this afternoon. Good stuff. A little cheaper than IG, and it smells good. I finally found it at Target, in the household cleaning products section.

5. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

I clean my glass with Surf City Garage Clearly Better, or Eimann Fabrik Clear Vision II Glass Cleaner. I gotta admit, I like both. Eimann Fabric looks like water, it's clear and has no scent to it...and no streaks!

6. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

If you do your windows regularly, a pair of clean WW window towels and plain water will do it. Other than that, an alcohol based window cleaner and WW window towels. The trick with glass is to keep your towel dry. As soon as it becomes damp all over, its done. Grab a fresh one.

7. Denzil

Denzil Guest

How much are they ringing up for there Karl?

I agree with this but I've only been using this technique with regular MF and glass MF towels. I guess I'll have to try the WW route.

8. Erik Mejia

Erik Mejia Obsessive Detailer

Meguiar's Professional Glass Cleaner (Dilutes 10:1) IMHO is one of the best glass cleaner out there. Combine this with a soft, nappy 100% cotton towel and you will get streak free results every time.:thumb:

On the plus side the towel doesn't leave those tiny fibers (only visible in certain lighting) that some microfibers leave behind.

9. Al-53

Al-53 Welcome to Detailing

Another good glass cleaner is ZEP professional Glass Cleaner..it is the Green stuff...1oz to 31oz of water...stuff cleans great..tint safe....nice smell....1 gallon makes 32 gallons of cleaner..and best part it is under 10.00 a gallon for the concentrate.....

now it is the green stuff..not the blue..that contains ammonia....GREEN.....try it...be surprised....it is posted on here from others who tried it and liked it very well for the streak free cleaning..

PS..it can be used as a multi surface cleaner also....I use it on plastics also...

Al

10. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

Im with Al, the Zep glass cleaner is great, I use that Surf City or FK 228 (once I run out of the SC and FK I will stick to just Zep it is so economical). I spray the window, wipe with a window towel then follow up with a WW I got from Walmart kitchenware

11. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

$2.59 for a 19 ounce can. I think I may have found my new glass cleaner :headbang:

12. Pats300zx

Pats300zx Official DB Moderator

I agree with Al on the Zep. I love this stuff and have been using it for over a year. Thanks to Al it's my go to glass cleaner :)

13. dschia

dschia Jedi Nuba

I seldom get smudges if I buffed the window last with a dry WW. For window that is in a bad state, usually I do a quick claying after i clayed the veh.. However, window cleaning is still something i feared most because i couldn't avoid not linting it with my WW after i washed it. :thud:

14. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

Alright, since we're talking about glass cleaning...here's one.

Really difficult to remove haze on the *inside* of the windshield of my F250. Looks like the sort of haze you'd expect from a smoker's vehicle, but it doesn't smell like smoke. And this stuff is STUBBORN. Mostly, I seem to just move it around...but I can't quite make it go away. It's getting annoying. Stoner's IG, Sprayway, neither one of them are working.

Tried white vinegar. In addition to making the inside of the truck smell like vinegar, it didn't work. Haven't considered clay, because it's on the inside, and that sounds a bit messy, but...maybe that's the next thing I should try.

Man, someone who had this thing before me really treated it badly. :shead:

15. Hostage1978

Hostage1978 Guest

Sprayway is great

Swisswax is great

ONR is great at regular mix dilution

I'm thinking it's more technique than product. As mentioned, a WW or two really helps out on the procedure.

16. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Hmm, wonder what residue that is that you're dealing with. Have you tried IPA already?

17. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

I haven't. I'll try that tomorrow, that's a great idea.

18. Dale

Dale Any Rag Vehicle Washer

What is WW???

19. richy

richy Guest

Karl..have you got a steamer? Have you tried hitting it with steam?

20. Nica

Nica Banned

If I'm not mistaken:

WW = Waffle Weaved