Cleaning Vinyl Decals

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by agpatel, Sep 8, 2009.

1. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

So, I have matte black vinyl strips running down the side of my car, see below pic, and over time I have gotten some wax/polish along the edges of it. Just want to know if anyone has insight on how to clean the edges of vinyl and how to clean the vinyl itself. I think I will get some Opti-Seal to put on them to help protect them a bit, as it is clear and should not effect the matte finish.

Anyone have experience with cleaning them?

I was thinking some IPA on a q-tip and clean the edges with it, maybe some APC to clean the vinyl itself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[Some older pics before the last big detail]

2. Solidsnake

Solidsnake Jedi Nuba

Some IPA or that Menzerna Top inspection should work. But you should tape up around it before waxing, just to be cautious. I have some vinyl on the exterior of my car too, what I do is use the 1Z plastic deep cleaner and then go over it with 1Z Einszett Vinyl Rubber Care and Protectant .

3. Bob

Bob Birth of a Detailer

A cleaner polish, a polish with chemical cleaners and no abrasives, is what I use and it really does the trick.

4. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Thanks, yeah I know I should tape up but I just forgot to a few times or thought I could avoid it and sometimes just kind of went too far and got some wax on the edges. But I will try some IPA and use some 1z on it.