Cleaning the Tires

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by dMak4, Oct 8, 2012.

1. dMak4

dMak4 Virgin Detailer

Hi everyone, I was just wondering what product/APC would you recommend to clean the tires of your car? I was hoping to get some Adam's APC if I can, but what else would you recommend? (removing all the dirt and stuck on grime/tar, the brown gunk)

2. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

Zeps Purple

Pulls the brown grime prior dressings right off the tire, its the only product I use now.

Best part is a gallon makes 5, and is at Lowes, Home Depot, Orchard Supply........ etc.

3. sikedsyko

sikedsyko DB Forum Supporter

I use Zep Citrus if I'm cleaning the wheels with Sonax, but typically I just use Mother's Wheel & Tire cleaner, which does a great job of cleaning the tires off too.

4. dMak4

dMak4 Virgin Detailer

I see, alright I'll be sure to check that out. I was also just wondering if anyone knows the best way to clean door jambs? I know I should be using an APC with soft brushes, but how should I rinse it? just take a hose to allow it to run down and off? Use a Pressure washer? or just wipe it off?

5. fech

fech Birth of a Detailer

What Dilution do you use for this?

6. Socal Brian

Socal Brian DB Forum Supporter

I've used it at 4:1 with very good results

7. Kilo6_one

3,4,5:1 depending on how dirty it is......... Ive used it 1:1 on undercarriage too, works wonders.

@ OP, door jams......... zeps citrus 5:1 with a detailing brush like the swissvax, adams or even a paintbrush with good dense soft bristles.

spray door jam, or area in questions, let soak for a minute or so then start agitating, when I rinse i turn the hose on real low flow and flood the area carefully

8. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

I use P21s works great love the stuff.

9. Bmer89

Bmer89 DB Forum Supporter

After agitating the jams with APC and detail brush, pressure washing them out works best if you have one. Otherwise ringing carefully with a hose works too. I use Optimum Power Clean 3:1 for tires/apc needs, but I'm gonna try zeps purple. Sounds more economical.

10. freefallin2000

freefallin2000 Birth of a Detailer

Have used ZC in the past for everything, but OPC will be my main APC unless I find something different. Although I would like to try ZP for tires. I think I will try 2:1 for ZP on tires, as I cant ever seem to get them as clean as I would like.

11. TheRustySuper

TheRustySuper Obsessive Detailer

OPC is my general go-to APC but for tires (and nasty wheel wells) I stick with Zep Citrus 3:1. It's actually an extremely versatile product, I've used it to remove bugs from the front of cars, clean wheels, grimy interiors, as a pre-wash soak, and as a wax stripping element in my wash solution. It's my "really nasty car" cleaner, when even OPC has difficulty. I've never had any issues with it and it's really economical. (Also, great for mopping old hardwood floors and cleaning old linoleum and tile!)

12. Kilo6_one

honestly, OPC is a great product and I use it all the time, but I have found Zeps orange, and purple to be just as effective and a fraction of the cost.

Especially on tires, im not going to spend a ton of money on a product, just make sure you do not let it dry on the wheels, not that it will stain it, but it can be difficult to remove.

Its a "industrial degreaser", ive used it around the house too, like cleaning my lawn mower, snowmobiles etc.

for 25.00 you can get zeps orange, and purple and dilute it out to 5 gallons each if you wanted too, or even more all depending........ OPC, 30.00 plus shipping. Ill take zeps.

13. dblackn

dblackn Two Bucket System Washer

everytime I read the label for Zep Purple I get nervous and don't buy it, it says will stain Aluminum, have you had any issues with it ever?

14. Kilo6_one

no, no staining...... if you used it on "raw" alluminum, like an HRE wheel it could damage it, but on painted wheels its fine. like I suggested just dont let it dry, do one wheel at a time etc.

15. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

+1 on zep purple. 3:1 works great. brown stuff runs off without scrubbing. but agitating helps

16. B.Prug87

B.Prug87 DB Forum Supporter

Has anyone tried Megs APC or APC+ 4:1?

17. v|nsan|ty

v|nsan|ty Obsessive Detailer

Using AG CWC 1:1 works very well. It's not very economical but I've found it cleans better than Zep citrus in comparison. I might have to grab some Zep purple to see if it will be my new tire cleaner.

18. GDAL

GDAL Super Moderator

I usually use AG CWC. If I still see some brown stains, I spray Tarminator onto a terry towel and wipe the tires. That usually does the trick. Bleche White and Zep Purple work great too.

19. jlt23

jlt23 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I have but it doesn't pull out the brown gunk. Amazing Roll Off works well

20. Kilo6_one

Im gonna have to try that next time, I hit stuff in my truck all the time and it rubs on the tire leaving an unpleasant and unsightly mark on my 33's