Cleaning the paint after polishing before LSP.

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by reefer_bob, Jan 7, 2008.

1. reefer_bob

reefer_bob Obsessive Detailer

I thought we could have an discussion about how people prepare the paint after polishing to remove any and all residue before putting on a Wax or sealant.

I've read some people wash the car...

I am using the Menzerna Top Inspection as a cleaning step. I'm not sure if I agree with the price tag of it thought.

I've played around with a 50/50 mix of Isopropl and DI water, and I didn't really care for that.

Any other good options / opinions out there for a final cleaning step?

2. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Since I use Menzerna, I don't do any paint prep after polishing. I go from polishing straight to either applying my sealants or waxes.

3. klumzypinoy

klumzypinoy Nuba Guru

I've been using Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer. It cleans fairly but I'm sure there's stronger cleaners such as Klasse, Duragloss, etc.

4. Nica

Nica Banned

Well depending on the wax that I'm applying I always apply the cleansing lotion or products alike. For example if I'm using a Zymol wax I always use the HD Cleanse first and then apply the wax. Prior to the HD Cleanse I make sure to wipe off all the polish off the vehicle and I no longer use the 50/50iso wipe method, depending how bad dusting is I'll give the vehicle a good rinse but other then that that's about all I do.

Now if I'm applying a sealant, I'd just remove the polish as best as possible and then apply the sealant. With Duragloss I'm using the bonding agent and if I understood correctly it's to help the DG sealant bond with the surface of the paint. If I'm using Wolfgang Sealant I'll just apply the sealant after I'm done polishing, but that's just what I've done, I'd love to hear what others are doing.

Good thread here :thumb:

5. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

:headbang:

6. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

I do ISO wipe downs as Im polishing, then rinse the car. If Im applying a wax and it calls for a cleaner fluid, then Ill use that too.

You should be doing ISO wipe downs no matter what.

7. maesal

maesal Birth of a Detailer

For removing the polishes I use a mix of ISO + DP 4-in-1 and water. I think it's not necessary to remove the oils if you're going to apply a wax. But if you're going to apply a sealant, wich will bond to the paing, it will do it better without any oil, wax, etc...

8. Racer

Racer Birth of a Detailer

I simply wash every polishing session with a good car wash .

9. DJ_JonnyV

DJ_JonnyV DB Forum Supporter

I do a quick rinse down as well. Mainly to get the dang dust off the car from IP!!! My latest order from DD, I did get some Top Inspection. It is rather expensive for what it is, but thought I would give it a shot.

10. MWAUTOPRO

MWAUTOPRO Jedi Nuba

I really liked using #80 a.k.a speed glaze or a citrus wash prior to my wax or sealant. Now I have switched to wet mirror shine before my LSP and I really like the way it looks and the ease of application versus speed glaze but the verdict is still out on how effective it is as a prep for a wax or sealant.

11. tdekany

tdekany Wax on..Wax off

I use CG's EZ Creme glaze before applying lsp. Or Poli Seal from Optimum. Or, ZAIO from Zaino.

12. gmblack3

gmblack3 Top 9 detailer in the US to serve you in Atlanta

If I am doing a full out polish the car is going to get foamed and washed after. If just a simple one step, then Lusso RC before the wax or ZAIO before any Zaino. If I use ZPC as a polish, then just a Z6 wipedown.

13. MWAUTOPRO

MWAUTOPRO Jedi Nuba

How is the EZ-Creme? Ive got a bottle at work but haven't tried it yet.

14. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Check paint surface - Menzerna Top Inspection, Du Pont Prep-Sol ® 3919Sor 1:1 solution
    Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) / distilled water

Final paint surface prep - chemical (solvent) cleaner- to remove any oils / waxes / silicone (Swissvax Cleaner Fluid)

15. tdekany

tdekany Wax on..Wax off

if I could only have 1 product for the rest of my life, ez creme would be it.

16. porta

porta Jedi Nuba

I foam the car with a alkalie degreaser and rinse it with a power washer. Dry the car and follow with a IPA wipedown.

17. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

I could not agree more with you. One of the easiest and most rewarding products I've ever used...

18. MrPolished&Waxed

MrPolished&Waxed Obsessive Detailer

isnt this to time consuming?

19. Al-53

Al-53 Welcome to Detailing

I always wipe down after a polishing...after i do a panel i do a prep sol wipe to inspect my work...then after fully polished I give it a wash with a medium mix of Citrus wash to make sure all residue is off the paint and out of the cracks and none stuck in cowl vents...I then know my paint is clean of any oils...renegade polish residue and ready for any wax or sealant....

Al

20. FuelTuner

FuelTuner Birth of a Detailer

I finish with Menzerna Final Polish, and dont bother with a cleaner unless I use Zymol or Victoria Wax, in which I will either use HD Cleanse by hand or Victoria Deep Cleanse with my Rotary and a black Ferecla pad.