Cleaning the door jams

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by er1k, Mar 26, 2008.

1. er1k

er1k Obsessive Detailer

I searched and didn't really find an answer to my question. How do you properly clean the door jams? And when during your detail do you clean them?

2. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

I like to use Chemical Guys ONE waterless wash and wax. I use it just like I do on the car, I spray wipe in one direction to get the dirt then when it hazes up I buff it off to a brilliant shine.

3. GBS

GBS Wax on..Wax off

I treat them like the rest of the paint on my car. I usually don't polish them because they don't really get swirled up and most places are hard to get to even with a 4" pad. I'll apply a wax, sealant or both on them. I don't let them get to dirtly. Sometimes I'll only put some QD on them them.

4. richy

richy Guest

ONR for me.

5. bewilliams14

bewilliams14 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I use Poorboys Spray and Wipe followed by a coat of wax or sealant

6. Nica

Nica Banned

Well I use P21S Total Auto Wash on the door jams, let it sit for a bit then I agitate with a Swissvax brush. I re-apply P21S Total Auto Wash as needed and keep on agitating then with some hot water and a yellow microfiber towel and it's all good. Then I treat it exactly like paint, wax it or use a sealant and your good to go. Well that's what I do.

7. POPPAJ

POPPAJ DB Forum Supporter

I set a pan under the jamb, spray with engine cleaner, use an assortment of brushes, spray down with warm water, blow dry with an air hose, treat the hinges with lithium grease, wipe off excess, spray down with Aqua Wax and finish up with a MF towel-that's if there really bad.

Maintanance-QD,wipe down,AW and wipe down.

The AW shines the rubber and acts as a lubricant too.

8. TexasTB

TexasTB Obsessive Detailer

I use an APC right after I wash. If they are very dirty, I will do a quick wipe down before the was, then clean after the wash. I use a plain cleaning MF towel....

9. er1k

er1k Obsessive Detailer

Sorry for the noob questions, but how do you keep the interior dry if your spraying down the door jams?

10. POPPAJ

I use a small presureized garden sprayer for the rinse down. Otherwise, just my world renowned skills.:meditation:

11. bigpoppa

bigpoppa Jedi Nuba

I wipe them down with ONR at every wash.

On dirty customer door jambs, I will usually presoak with Purple Power on the really nasty areas first, then ONR.

12. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

I polish them, then seal them with a sealant, then just wipe them sry with a QD after every wash.

13. Nica

Nica Banned

Just curious supercharged, how do you polish them? By hand or with a machine? I've been wanting to polish but it just looks tight...any tip would be great :peace:

14. supercharged

I simply use Meguiar's Scratch X, or Menzerna Final Polish II with a foam applicator by hand. It cleans them well, realy for a wax/sealant. Then I used Meguiar's NXT 2.0 to seal the paint.
    Lasts quite a while, I used a QD to wipe them clean every time I wash the car. I also clean inside the fuel cap door.
    Try it out, Nica, I'm sure you will love it. Paint reamains like new, making car looking newer.

15. Nica

Nica Banned

Oh man wicked tip, I'll definetly try this out buddy. I'll put those German applicators to good use :thumb:

I'll give it a go for sure, thank you for sharing :hippie:

16. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

hmm I wash them and polish them with a rotary and a light polish / compound. then just wax it.

17. POPPAJ

Do you use a 1/2" pad?:whistle:

18. supercharged

You are welcome, bro. I'm sure you will love resluts. And please post some pics!

19. Nica

Nica Banned

Pics...you bet I'll post pictures :thumb: :thumb:

20. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Two Bucket System Washer

Nope...Not going there...Going to leave this one alone. :thinking: