Cleaning seatbelts

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by TONY MONTANA, Sep 5, 2009.

1. TONY MONTANA

TONY MONTANA DB Forum Supporter

whats the best way to clean dirty seatbelts?

2. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

Scrub them with a really stiff brush and Zep high traffic.... or even better pull them out of the car, close the doors and pressure wash them.

3. GDAL

GDAL Guest

I use a brush and Folex ... I then use the bissell LGM to clean the rest of it. If they are not extremely dirty, try to pull the seatbeat and place it flat on the seat ... it makes it a lot easier to get them clean.

4. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Seat Belts

• For spot stains use a fabric cleaner 303 Cleaner & Spot Remover™
    • Pull the belts from the retractor and gently close the door on the belt, clean and allow to air dry before opening the door and retracting the belt. Do not use bleach, strong detergents, or dye on the seat belts as this may severely weaken them and render them ineffective in a crash.
    • Once fabric is dry apply a fabric protection (303TM High Tech Fabric Guard)
    • While you are cleaning the belts, take the opportunity to closely inspect them for damage and security of attachment, ensure here are no cuts, tears or abrasions (you should always inspect for damage etc if they get caught by a closing door)After a while the seat belt mechanism becomes slow and / or will not retract when released.
    • This can be avoided by cleaning the upper anchor; as the seatbelt retracts it leaves behind a film of dirt, which builds up over time. Use compressed air to remove dust and then using a Q- tip and some Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) you can clean the seat belt anchor / retracting mechanism. Once clean add some Plexus Plastic Cleaner to provide lubrication.
    • Maintenance clean seat belts with 303 Cleaner & Spot Remover™ / distilled water solution

5. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

Nice info togwt. I agree harsh solvents/cleaners will deteriorate the material, and basically render seatbelts ineffective.

6. TONY MONTANA

TONY MONTANA DB Forum Supporter

thanks guys for your help

7. Solidsnake

Solidsnake Jedi Nuba

This dude has an answer for everything, wow I'm impressed. :applause:

8. richy

richy Guest

That dude, Jon, has a wealth of knowledge from many years of detailing and I have learned so much from him, as a lot of us have. I am grateful to him for participating in this forum so much. I appreciate his time and effort.

9. Solidsnake

Solidsnake Jedi Nuba

I didn't mean it in a bad way, he really does know what he's talking about and I am really impressed.

10. richy

richy Guest

Sorry Ibrahim..I didn't mean to imply that you were saying anything bad. I was just taking an opportunity to share my admiration for Jon.

11. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Thank you for those kind words. I try to share knowledge and help were I can

12. dadswrld

dadswrld Birth of a Detailer

You, like a lot of others on this forums contribute soooo much info, it's actually mind boggling but I couldn't be happier to having access to this much info.

It's well appreciated!:applause2::worship2::mounty: