Cleaning leather

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by StiCy, Jun 20, 2009.

1. StiCy

StiCy Birth of a Detailer

I need to know how to remove the greasy, glossy look from certain parts of the interior. Take a look at this head-rest. The leather part looks matte, but the the fake leather part looks greasy. I got some Zymol leather cleaner (Yeah I know the its not real zymol thing) and that worked great on the leather part but did not clean the greasy part off. Its really sticky. I also tried Z1 Deep plastic/vinyl cleaner and it did not take it off. I think I used too much Meguiars Gold Class leather cleaner on it in the past (Thats whats on there).

Heres how it looks now:
    [​IMG]

Heres how the leather part looks and how I want the rest to look:
    [​IMG]

2. richy

richy Guest

Try some strong APC and a mf. Once you get that crap off, apply a better dressing so the leather does not dry out from the APC.

3. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

WOW! just soak that bad boy in some acid.... no not really

if you're around a dollar store, dollar general, pick up LA's Awesome apc... that should help out

4. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

Use Megs APC 4:1 to clean that off. It should work just fine. And then STAY AWAY from Megs leather conditioners, that add stickiness and extra gloss...you pretty much can see that car detailing products are the cheapest ones...just like with women cosmetics, cheap ones often look like Bondo body filler...

5. StiCy

I have CG Green Clean diluted 1 part chem 16 parts water. Would that be too weak? I could just mix a stronger batch?

6. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Use a 3M delicate duty scuff pad (White) and Iz einszett 'Plastik-Reiniger' is an intensive, non-corrosive, non-acidic two-phase deep cleaner, that removes grime build-up thoroughly and effortlessly, these chemicals restore your interiors original texture and resiliency; use to clean all coloured and clear water-based acrylic polyurethane covered automotive upholstery; this product is biodegradable, formalin-free and environmentally friendly.

If the oil / grease is really stubborn use P21S Total Auto Wash a d-limonene (citrus) based solvent

7. dschia

dschia Jedi Nuba

Did you agitate the headrest with any tools or just wipe using a mf cloth? May be you want to try again using a brush or a gentle pad to agitate, it should work better..

8. StiCy

So could I use the Green Clean, since I already have it? Would a wax applicator work better for cleaning? I was just using a microfiber towel.

9. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

I used to use Meguiar's Gold Class Leather Cleaner/Conditioner until I got tired of the shine and the grease. Since you already have Green Clean, just try a stronger dilution of it, such as 8:1 or 4:1. It will probably take a couple of applications to remove it. So hit it once with the Green Clean mixture with a microfiber towel. Then hit it again with another microfiber towel...you don't want to use the same MF towel over again because it will just re-apply the Conditioner product that it has already absorbed.

For me, it took one or two hits of Optimum Power Clean at 3:1 to get rid of all the Gold Class Conditioner.

10. flash gordon

flash gordon Banned

I agree^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This Stuff cleans Leather/Carpets like Crazy, been using it for years with NO ill effects.

Pour a little in a bucket (fill the bottom)and add water about 1/3 way up(5 gallon) then get a wash mit followed by a dry terry cloth, not M/F IMPO. :popcorn:

11. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

+1, if you are referring to the green kind. I really like it for interiors. I actually do a two bucket method with a microfiber or two on that. You'd be VERY surprised what is in the rinse bucket.

12. StiCy

So 8:1 would be 8 parts cleaner and 1 part water?

13. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

For most chemicals you are mixing more water than chemical.

So 8:1 or 1:8 (both ways you will see it) is:

8 parts water and 1 part chemical

14. StiCy

Ok, hit it with the Green Clean 16:1, nothing, hit it with the Z1 Deep cleaner, still nothing. I hate to mix Green Clean any stronger because I got the small bottle and wanted it to last. At this point I think I am wasting the products I have. I guess I should pick up something stronger local?

15. Darkstar752

Darkstar752 Horizon Detailing

Use a stronger APC and let it dwell to break that stuff up. Let it dwell for maybe a minute, agitate, let sit for 30 seconds, agitate and wipe off.

16. StiCy

OK heres what I tried.
    Mixed Green Clean 3:1
    Spray on and let it sit for 2 minutes.
    Wiped it off with a cotton towel.
    I have tried three or so applications and still nothing.
    Is there anything stronger that I could pickup locally?

17. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Try the 3:1 green clean spray it on and take a brush, soft toothbrush could work or a leather brush, shoe polish brush, and scrub and see if that does anything. If that does not, try 100% greenClean on a small spot. If that does not then I have no idea what could take it off. The megs stuff is really protecting that leather in that case.

18. flash gordon

flash gordon Banned

Yea go get Awesome like I was saying earlier...cost you $1+tax. Sometimes just because its expensive don't mean squat.:shakehead:

19. StiCy

What would be a good dilution ratio?

20. StiCy

Could I use a Meguiar's All-Surface Interior Brush on it?