cleaning and protecting lexus wood trim

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by froboy272, Aug 9, 2009.

1. froboy272

froboy272 Obsessive Detailer

please help. i have a lexus ls430 with a nice amount of woodgrain on the interior.

[​IMG]

what products and applicators would you recomend to clean and protect it with?

it seems to have some kind of clear coat or acrylic layer over it which i have some small scratches and 1 deep scratch on. i can live with the long one though since im not familiar with wet sanding or anything like that.

any help is appreciated.

-Shawn

2. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

3. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

I use 1Z cockpit premium to clean it, and a good quality carnauba paste wax to keep it looking its best. I have been using Pinnacle Souveran on wood trim and really liked it.

4. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Wood (urethane protected) surfaces – Klasse or Zaino All-In-One (AIO)

5. richy

richy Guest

IF you don't have 303 Aerospace for your interior, you should get some. You'll be amazed at how it makes the wood trim shine; you don't need some gimmick wax for wood..303 will make it look great. It will add UV protection and is fantastic for protecting and treating your plastic as well. The 303 is also fantastic on metal trim and chrome...I even use it for door jams once cleaned with ONR.

6. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

you could also use a light cut finishing polish like Menzerna PO85RD or 106FF to remove the lighter scratches on the trim, granted they are clearcoated, which im sure yours are.

7. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

8. flash gordon

flash gordon Banned

PB SSR1 works well 2......:headbang:

your actually not treating the wood, its a 1/2" under plastic coating :giggle:

9. froboy272

froboy272 Obsessive Detailer

thanks guys. i dont have any polishes yet (just getting started with detailing, so addicting) so would i be able to use 1Z Einszett Plastic + Vinyl Cleaner Plastik-Reiniger, and top with 303 or a wax?

also, my brother has an m35x with woodgrain as well but it desn't have that same layer of plastic over it. i put 303 on it this morning and it came out "okay" but not glossy and rich looking. should i just wax it too?

10. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

I would wax it to get a nice look out of it. Get yourself a nice finish polish like 85rd to clean it up well, if you want a cheap one look for SSR1 by Poorboy's. But I would put a nice coat of wax over the trim to make it slick and shine a bit better.

11. flash gordon

flash gordon Banned

^ :shead:

12. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

haha, ok so that was not my best post ever. Just trying to say I would use a finish polish like 85rd or PB SSR1 to get rid of some of the swirls if they are light and top it off with a coat of wax to make it look a little better and protect it from anything getting on it. You could always skip the wax and just use Cockpit and you would be fine as well.

13. flash gordon

flash gordon Banned

:peace:

14. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

I use Klasse AIO on all of mine... looks great!