Cleaning Alcantara (faux suede)

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by Dylan@Adams, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Dylan@Adams

Dylan@Adams Guest

The question gets asked so often I figured I might as well pound out a writeup... the amount of new cars that have alcantara inserts is increasing and figured this could be helpful.

FIRST OFF -- WHAT IS ALCANTARA?
    Alcantara is the name given to a composite material used to cover surfaces in a variety of situations and applications, but most commonly seating surfaces in automobiles. It looks and feels like suede leather, many people make the mistake of assuming it is leather, and is commonly featured as an upgrade in many car models. Its also featured in higher end exotics, sports, and luxury cars, as well as custom aftermarket interiors.

HOW DO I CLEAN IT?
    Its important to understand Alcantara does not respond well to most chemical cleaners, as a matter of fact, many chemical cleaners will actually discolor or change the texture of the material permanently ruining the benefit of having such a nice material on the interior surfaces of a vehicle.

Daily cleaning and regular maintenance - I recommend the use of a medium-soft bristled brush, like the Adam’s Interior Brush or similar, to essentially fluff and renew the material. As you sit on the seat the material will become matted or tired looking, a quick brushing will revive the material and bring it back to life. Be sure to vacuum first to remove and debris then brush in both directions. In the event you do not have a brush a clean, dry, lint free, microfiber towel will work.

For a more thorough cleaning - Start with a clean, lint free, microfiber towel and spray a light mist of Adam's Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner or similar non-soap cleaner onto the towel. Gently wipe at any soiled areas or wipe the entire surface if its been awhile since the previous cleaning. NEVER SPRAY THE CLEANER DIRETLY ONTO THE ALCANTARA!! Flip the towel to a clean side and repeat as needed.

After the surface has been cleaned use a 2nd, dry, lint free, microfiber towel to remove any moisture and follow with a brush to re-fluff the material. Its important not to use too much product, a very light misting of cleaner onto the towel is all thats needed. ​

BUT WHAT IF I HAVE STAINS?

Prevention of stains is the most important thing to keeping an Alcantara surface clean, but accidents happen. In the event you do spill something or do notice a discolored spot the sooner you act the better. The longer a stain is allowed to sit the less likely you'll be able to remove it.

In the event you do get a stain, act quickly (within 30 minutes) and begin treating the stain from the outside edge into the center in order to avoid
    the stain spreading. Never pour a cleaning product directly onto Alcantara!!

Before attempting to remove the stain, remove any of the excess spill or substance that has fallen on the upholstery:

If its a very liquid substance like soda or juice use an absorbent towel, a waffle weave microfiber being ideal. You can also use a sponge or synthetic chamois (water sprite, absorber, etc.)

If its a thicker substance, yogurt, milk shake, smoothie, etc. use a spatula or spoon to scrape as much off of the surface as you can. If you have a wet/dry shop vac use that to remove the excess. Avoid rubbing to prevent the stain from spreading or going deeper into the material.

After the bulk of the spill or contamination is removed use a white cloth or a well wrung sponge for the removal of as much of the stain as you can. If you use a sponge, rinse it in clean water and wring it well between each pass. Try to wipe as little as possible, blot as much as possible, apply pressure to get any liquid up into the sponge. ​

For the specific treatment of the different types of stains follow the instructions below:

• Thick fruit juice, jelly, syrup, fatty oils, ketchup, etc: Use lukewarm water, rinse by dabbing with clean water, rinsing and wringing the towel or sponge often.
    • Blood, egg, excrement, urine: Use cold water; avoid warm water because it makes these substances coagulate, rinse by dabbing with clean water, rinsing and wringing the towel or sponge often.
    • Liquors, alcoholic beverages, wine, beer, coke and tea: Use lukewarm water; if the colour mark remains, treat it with lemon juice and then rinse it well.
    • Pencil, pastry, cream, chocolate, ice-cream, mustard: Use lukewarm water; rinse by dabbing with clean water rinsing and wringing the towel or sponge often.
    • Hair gel, tomato sauce, coffee with sugar: Use lemon juice and then wipe with lukewarm water; rinse by dabbing with clean water, rinsing and wringing the towel or sponge often.

If the stain is no longer water soluble:
    Depending on the type of stain start with the specific recommendations above. (water or lemon juice) In the event these do not work pure ethyl alcohol (available at most pharmacies) and follow the instructions below. Keep in mind this is a method of last resort and should only be attempted if none of the previous methods have worked.

Rub with ethyl alcohol, then with water and rinse. Leave the vehicle in a dry environment with the doors or windows open and allow the area to dry. Repeat the alcohol treatment as needed or until there is no longer any improvement in the stains appearance.

2. detaildude3629

detaildude3629 Birth of a Detailer

Great write up, just to ask my wifes car is a Nissan Sentra 07, seats are suede and looks like
    webbing inserts in the center of the seats, is that what you are talking about, sort of plastic, let me know, if a little spill i take damp towel with a dot of dawn and gently massage onto stain, with another towel I just blot that it...any information would help:applause2:

3. Dylan@Adams

Dylan@Adams Guest

Not sure... I don't think I've seen that interior style on a sentra before.

Alcantara looks and feels almost exactly like suede... if the stuff you're talking about has a "webbing inserts" and "sort of plastic" it doesn't sound like Alcantara.

4. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Alcantara® (Nubuck, Alcantara ®, Ultrasuede™ , Ecsaine, Micro suede, etc ) - are top-grain cattle hide leather that has been sanded or buffed on the grain side, or outside, to give a slight nap of short protein fibres, producing a velvet-like surface. These are all non-organic (synthetic) materials.

Identifying characteristics - these materials are very soft to the touch and will scratch or scuff very easily.

The water-drop absorbency test- water drops will darken the surface, but it returns to its original colour after drying.

5. judyb

judyb Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I think this should read:

Nubuck - is top-grain cattle hide leather that has been sanded or buffed on the grain side, or outside, to give a slight nap, producing a velvet-like surface similar to a pool table.

The water drop absorbency test - water drops will darken the surface and will remain dark or leave a water mark after drying.

Alcantara® (Alcantara ®, Ultrasuede™ , Ecsaine, Micro suede, etc ) are all non-organic (synthetic) materials

Hope this helps

6. Dylan@Adams

Dylan@Adams Guest

Alcantara is a synthetic, its in no way related to any naturally occurring hide other than it somewhat resembles natural suede.

7. detaildude3629

detaildude3629 Birth of a Detailer

I will post a picture of the seats, so much information was given here, will go to dealership and speak to someone about the interior. How do you guys post pictures up? Thanks :applause2:

8. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

good info, any pics of a dirty seat or the proper way to clean them. I had this question a few months ago.

9. Dylan@Adams

Dylan@Adams Guest

I actually having a customer with a Challenger coming to see me soon to see if we can get a coffee stain off of one of his Alcantara surfaces... I'll be sure to document when we do.