Claybar: Before or After drying?

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by Chaseme, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

I know most people say to dry car off first, but I've always done it when the car is wet and have never run in to any issues.

Is it really that important to clay after you dry the car?

2. GDAL

GDAL Super Moderator

I have always done it when the car is wet. I make sure to wash it again before drying it. I always marr the paint no matter how careful I am. I use ONR as my clay lube.

3. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

I have done it both ways, but I usually dry it first. I have been using CG Luber as clay lube as of late but will be switching to Ardex WSR once the CG is gone.

4. Frankastic

Frankastic Detail Photographer

it depends...if its a hot day, I'll do one drying pass to get most of the water out. then I clay and 2x IPA wipedown.

5. Frankastic

Frankastic Detail Photographer

Have you tried

• Dipping the clay in bucket of warm water
    • Keep spraying lube while claying

I find those two help minimized marring from clay...

6. Chaseme

GDal...are you using an ultra-fine clay? I've never had any issues with ultrafine (Adam's, Uber, etc).

7. GDAL

GDAL Super Moderator

I mainly use Riccardo and Gliptone Clay. I use ONR in a Kwaazar bottle and most of the time use the entire bottle on a single vehicle. Keep in mind that the most of the cars I deal with are Japanese cars. The marring is not excessive, but noticeable. I always polish after clay. I was using poliseal, but I've been using D301 and I like it a lot.

8. piginapoke

piginapoke Obsessive Detailer

I just tried the CG luber and it works well, why the change?

9. Miglior

Miglior DB Pro Supporter

I always dry my cars off before claying. Unless your washing and drying inside a sealed unit, you are still going to get airborne grit on the surface of the paint. Even if you can't see it, theres probably going to be some on there.

I havent (yet) got the facilities to wash and dry inside yet, but I always pull cars into the unit dripping wet and dry them off in the unit. Its important to get the dust off the car with a plush towel rather than trying to clay the car with these types of contaminants on. Once the car is dry, i start claying, then dry again and also dry with compressed air.

10. JoeyV

JoeyV Welcome to Detailing

I personally remove only about half the water on the vehicle just so it isn't soaked, but I leave water there to aid in lubrication along with the lube. I always do a degreasing wash afterwards and then dry it off before I begin work.

11. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

Since I wash in my garage, i generally clay when the car is wet........i was using LUBER, but ONR is more cost effective. I also use dawn diluted to clay lube as well.

12. Chaseme

Not a bad idea with the Dawn. I can see me going through Luber like crazy.

What's your dilution for the Dawn?

13. luke093

luke093 Welcome to Detailing

Wash, rinse, pull into the garage, mist ONR to neutralize water (at QD dilution), clay with ONR at clay lube dilution.

14. vasaline

vasaline Two Bucket System Washer

I do the same as Luke. After washing and rinsing, I would mist the entire car with ONR so that I will not run into water spotting while a clay bar. I use to dry the car first and then clay but figured i can save some time by drying the car as I'm claying.

15. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

1-2 oz per 32? it gets really slick if its more.

as for misting the car with ONR, i do that with CG detailer, ill try that with ONR good tip

16. GTIDamien_407

GTIDamien_407 Birth of a Detailer

So would something like Riccardo Yellow clay marr the paint on a 2006 honda accord se? didn't think the yellow clay was that abrassive

17. luke093

luke093 Welcome to Detailing

It has marred the black CRV I drive. Very light M205 on black took care of it nicely. Basically, I wouldn't want to clay anything I don't polish, unless I'm using OTC light clay.

18. GTIDamien_407

So would you guys recommend an ultra fine clay bar or just something like mothers claybar from Canadian Tire, I plan on doing a clay and seal as one of my packages and obviously don't want to cause
    marring to the paint because I don't have a da to buff it out and obviously don't want to deal with the extra work!

19. GTIDamien_407

20. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

Yes if you want to avoid marring then get some Sonus Ultra Fine, Griot's Clay or Mothers Clay.