Clay bar on plastic

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by E-Money, Jun 14, 2009.

1. E-Money

E-Money Birth of a Detailer

I tried searching but no luck. I have plastic headlights (99 prelude) the driver's side is perfect. The passenger side has always been a PITA. Can I clay plastic to brighten it up? Same goes for my rear taillights. Thanks in advance. :applause2:

2. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

Clay won't really make a dent in the appearance of them - it'll just lift contaminants off of them.

3. Spyral

Spyral DB Forum Supporter

I clay bar my head light housings and tail lights, all it does is remove contaminants, bug guts, road grime, etc. Have you considered polishing them? I know people have posted about doing it, I never have done it.

4. Stems

Stems Birth of a Detailer

Another vote for polishing them, Nica posted a how-to video here.

5. DaveS4

DaveS4 Jedi Nuba

Claying them is fine, but as mentioned above, it will only remove contaminants. Polishing/wet sanding is the only way to bring them back to looking like new again...

6. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

I would say yes you can clay them, I clay headlights. It will not make the lights look better as everyone said I will polish them. If you need more then wetsand then polish.

7. E-Money

E-Money Birth of a Detailer

So far the best product i tried is blackfire's aerosol for plastic. then they look dull after a couple of weeks. thanks for the input guys.

8. skurzhun

skurzhun Birth of a Detailer

5th gen Preludes are notorious for have horrible clouding, yellowing, fading and discoloring of the headlights. Like mentioned before only way to correct it is to wet sand it then polish it.