Clay Bar: Fine cut vs Medium cut

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by FMJ, Jun 18, 2008.

1. FMJ

FMJ Any Rag Vehicle Washer

thinking of getting some new clay for my weekend project.

came across some brand name has two different grades of clay.
    Fine vs Medium.

I will be detailing two cars, the first one is only 1 year old, the other one is ~10 years old, which i have been claying it every year, using mother's CB, ( i have no idea what kind of grade is)

so my question is, how do i determine when should i use a medium grade CB?

thank you all

2. Denzil

Denzil Guest

It really depends on the condition of the car but if you're going to follow your claying with paint correction on a pretty bad vehicle, I would just use the medium grade clay. For maintenance, the fine clay will do. Good luck.

3. Nica

Nica Banned

I agree with what Denzil says the only thing I would add is use lots of "clay lube", what ever lubrication you choose just use lots :thumb:

4. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

Mothers is a very light clay.

5. dionnfr

dionnfr Birth of a Detailer

Just wish I can get my hands on some Ricardo.

6. FMJ

can you describe "lots"?

I usually spray enough to drip on the panel...

btw, can I use detailer or do i have to use specific clay lube?

thanks again!

7. Denzil

Denzil Guest

I usually spray every few seconds or so just to ensure there is enough lubrication between the paint and the clay bar. I'm not too picky about using a specific "clay lube" but I find that using the ONR clay lube mixture is the most economical for me and many others here at DB.

8. FMJ

thanks for your reply, how do i know if i am not spraying enough clay lube/detailer?

9. FMJ

got any link on the ONR clay lube misture you mentioned? see, I have found detailer cheaper than any specific clay lube, thats what I was wondering, using any quick detailer to do the clay bar job...

10. Denzil

Denzil Guest

The ONR clay lube mixture is really just a dilution of Optimum No Rinse.

Behavior of not supplying enough clay lube for the clay is when the clay catches on the paint, making it very difficult for it to move across the paint.

11. FMJ

then I am sure I am spraying enough....
    and thanks for the link

12. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

The best way to describe the proper method for using detailer clay is to use plenty of the lubricant and aquaplane the clay bar over the surface in straight-line motions, in the direction of airflow and using light hand pressure, you should hear a slight noise and feel some resistance; this is the contaminants being abraded.

See also - Detailer’s Automotive Clay - http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/f34/detailer-s-automotive-clay-1244.html

13. yukonon22

yukonon22 Wax on..Wax off

Has anyone used griots clay. I got some in today and the feel it much more elastic than zaino. I am just curious what your guys think. I will post a review in a week or so on griots, riccardo, and zaino clay.

14. FMJ

15. Purplewidow

Purplewidow Obsessive Detailer

i use cg luber and love it..i also have used a qd..it seems the luber is a touch nicer but if you have a qd that doesn't evaporate too quick i would use that like cg speed wipe or cg white nuba spray. i used swissvax qd but if it's hot outside forget it.. it evaporates to quickly..and SV is really expensive.. so i would just use speed wipe or cg luber