Chemical guys vs....

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by onebaucom, Apr 1, 2011.

1. onebaucom

onebaucom Birth of a Detailer

So I was looking around at everyone's collection for supplies and I wondering how chemical guys compares to different brands like adam's, meguiars, and prima? The majority of the list I was going to order was adam's because I have heard a lot of awesome things. So for stuff like quick detailer, shampoo, clay bar, wheel cleaner, tire cleaner, dressing, etc. how would it compare? Not really interested in any polishes. Thanks for any opinions.

2. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

Chemical guys has two things going for them...... Price, and the product simply works. No fancy marketing, no fancy packaging. Look at thier cheap labels, they were printed on a someones inkjet. Now what annoys me about CG, is they have alot of what seems to be "duplication" and thier website sucks; however their products work and work very well IMO.

I use all the products you mentioned on a regular basis with exception to adams, I have tried one of thier glazes Dylan sent me and it was phenominal,but that is my extent of use with them, they have an outstanding line of products and many here love them. I use Prima Nero, and Clarity which is top notch, and I use megs becuase its easy to get and it works. Filter through the marketing, the hype and you will quickly find what you like.
    I did, and I found that Chemical guys products are very well designed and have a good "value" . They sell gallons of everything and they are not overly expensive, same with meguiars detail line, very good results and the price is reasonable. IM no pro like some of the guys here, but I do 1 or 2 cars a week and Value, cost and performance all need to be carefully balanced.

CG VRT vs Prima nero for example.....both have good end results, but are sold in a different form. VRT IMO is a little more glossy and has has less work time then Nero and is far less when it comes to cost, but Nero is easier to apply and has a very nice matte finish and so on and so on. Each product has its positives and negatives....

What I like about Adams is the way they present the product line.. simple, to the point and very user freindly. Unlike CG, good luck trying to figure it out, I guess that is why the sample sizes are so damn cheap....
    Adams has far better service, and they have a unmatched guarantee, if you are new to detailing that is a plus. It takes the liablity out of trying something. Products like Prima, I buy from Phil, He wont put junk on his site, so if he sells it he backs it and has tested it. As for Meguairs, the detail line is a very good product line for the money.... they are a standard (meaning far better products can be had) in the the detailing world, im sure 90% of people here use Megs products on some level...

I guess it depends on what you are looking for.

3. onebaucom

thank you for the reply. yeah i saw how cheap CG is and that's what i was really wondering about...was the product good even though it is pretty cheap. i use meguiars right now but i wanted to try something different to mix it up a little bit. i personally like the matte finish rather than glossy so nero is the one i would go with. i guess i'll have to sample everything out til i find the best products for me. i was just wondering what the opinions from others were since i have not tried CG yet. thanks again!

4. Kilo6_one

buying and trying is how i figured it out.....

5. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

What pisses me off about Chemical Guys is how they name their products. It seems like they love to change names of products that are exactly the same.

For example when I was buying their microfibers, one big towel was called a miracle drier, but the mini version of that towel was called "deluxe" or some other name. But it's the same thing. Wouldnt it be easier to name it the MINI Miracle drier towel instead of a completely different name?

They seem to mix and match different names and that can easily throw you off when you go to buy something.

And their "deal of the day" or "deal of the week" seems more like a "deal of the month" or "deal of the year" LOL.

6. Kilo6_one

yeah, there site is a joke pretty much............like I said, alot of duplication

7. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

I echo the above opinions. A confusing Web site with a confusing selection of products. But at the same time, I have yet to buy something from them that I was not satisfied with.

8. onebaucom

thanks for the replies. yeah the website is not that exciting and a little confusing but i do see a few of their products that i am gonna try.

9. kyoshiro

kyoshiro DB Forum Supporter

make sure you buy their blue monster towels and their yellow mf miracle dryer
    their yellow super towel is thinner than the blue monster towels but can be had as a12pack, its also good and sucks up same amount of water but just that the blue has better nap than the yellow and prob thicker material to boot.

10. Kilo6_one

yes, some of there stuff is garbage...... I will be the first to admit that. But the towels are really nice.

11. onebaucom

wow i never knew i how heated people get when comparing adam's to chemical guys. not trying to start it up now, but people get mean! just researching on different forums and people are vicious! again, not trying to start a debate just surprised by people on other forums. i'll be buying from both of them and thanks for the help. =]

12. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

I like CG products especially pro detailer I get it by the gallon and glossworks I just use it @1.5 to 2oz to 3 gallons for washing at that dilution its a hell of alot better than what they recommend.yet their site is a mess but their products work and that's what matters to me

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk

13. Streetlife

Streetlife Birth of a Detailer

I agree.

14. Kilo6_one

yeah, I love the prodetailer.......... i use it on my personal car after washes, amps up the p21s.

15. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

I haven't found a company that puts out all stellar products. If they're hitting above the 75% range then they are doing it right.

16. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

Chemical Guys do make great MFs. But those Adam's soft MFs look great too I'll have to try them.

17. Kilo6_one

im waiting for the new MFs from phill to drop........... they look soft and very high quality.

18. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

Ahh good point dude. Are you talking bout the no name super plush's?

19. Bunky

Bunky DB Forum Supporter

Neither company "makes" microfiber. They all source from Korea or China. The question is just who they use for sources and how selective they are on consistency. For example, if you order one thing and get something else, is that an issue and does the company support you?

If you are a very cost conscious purchaser, buy cheap and experiment to move up as needed. Otherwise, choose by suppliers offer satisfaction guaranteed (many) and go from there.

20. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

hmmm I meant CG "have" great MFs.. Thanks though.