Chalky leather after someone sits in a seat?

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by 2StepsAhead, Dec 12, 2010.

1. 2StepsAhead

2StepsAhead Virgin Detailer

I have a Pontiac G8 GT with leather, I bought a bunch of new products for my car when I first got it...one of them being 1Z Leather Conditioner. I heated up the leather and applied some but it was very spotty and I ended up over applying it and it got in the perforations. The next thing I noticed was when someone would sit in the seat you could see where the 1Z basically made like a skin over the seat and someone sitting in the seat would crack/stretch it and the seat would look chalky.

I thoroughly went about cleaning the seats with APC and other various chemicals until I got almost all of the 1z out of the perforations...I tried to stay away from white leather treatments because its very easy to see when it gets in the perforations. I had half a bottle of Poorboys leather stuff that worked wonders on my Forester XT and Evo's leather...so this time I made sure to be very sparing when I applied it. I put a very small amount on a yellow applicator pad and would work on the non perforated parts first then try and get the perforated parts last so the leather stuff had a chance to work into the pad and not be sitting on top.

This time I didn't run into any issues with clogging the pores of the leather but I still noticed that when someone would sit in the seat it would look chalky...I had this issue when I first bought the car and had no dressing of any kind on the seats which is why I bought the leather products to begin with. So far Poorboys and 1Z both seem to have the same chalky issue as well...I also have some Zaino and Optimum leather treatments but Im trying to stay away from them as they're whitish. Is it just the way my leather is? Im lost.

2. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Spew (Spue)

[: any constituent of leather that comes to the surface in the form of a white crystallized or gummy deposit] American Leather Chemists Association

Do not confuse mould or leather care products (including soap) that have dried leaving a dry white powder with the white oily residue sometimes found on leather surfaces, this is commonly found on leathers treated with petroleum distillates oils

Spew is a solidified fat or fatty acid, when the fat liquor introduced during the re-tanning process is destabilised and rises to the surface of the leather creating a white haze or film on the surface. The conditions under which the spew forms (temperature, humidity, changes in temperature, etc.) can be a clue to which type is active on your leather. This will look dry but have a greasy/fatty feel to it. If it is cleaned off it will almost certainly return as it requires a stabilising product to re balance the fats.

It can usually be removed by wiping with a dry cloth, but is very likely to reappear if the same cold conditions exist. Mild heating can also be used to melt the spew so it will reabsorb, but this also is not likely to be permanent. If leather is brought into the vicinity of a mild heat source, spew will melt and soak back into the leather, leaving a clear circular area around the heat source. When leather gets wet, residual processing salts can also migrate to the surface and crystallize as the water evaporates. This creates a similar appearing condition known as 'salt spew'.

Spew would be a very rare occurrence in finished leather, or urethane protected automotive leather upholstery, it could occur in unfinished leather. However dried perspiration stains can also leave off-white crystallized salts on the leather surface

An extract from "Automotive Leather Repair and Renovation” one of a series of i articles The Art & Science of Detailing

3. 2StepsAhead

2StepsAhead Virgin Detailer

Mine seems more like dried cleaner...but I dont use soaps on my leather ever since the first cleaning and I wiped it down thoroughly with water to remove any chemicals before I applied the dressing. I noticed this condition when I first had the car which is what prompted me to use leather care products right away, G8 is definitely finished / urethane protected.