CG's Leather Cleaner

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by GDAL, May 16, 2010.

1. GDAL

GDAL Guest

Hello all,

This is somewhat of an informal review on CG's leather cleaner. I had the opportunity to test this product yesterday on my vehicle. I haven't really clean the leather surfaces for over 2 years ...:yikes:. The last time I tried to clean my interior, I went with the Leatherique twins and experienced a lot of dye transfer. I still don't know if the Leatherique products caused the dye transfer, but I'm pretty sure that the leather quality (9 year old GM leather) was for the most part responsible for the dye transfer mess. I decided to leave the leather like that and opted for a future leather redye.

Anyways, my leather seats were looking way too shiny and dirty. I used the horse hair brush from ADS and CG's Leather Cleaner. I used a plastic bottle that makes liquids foam as my dispenser for the leather cleaner. All I can say is WOW ... this leather cleaner got the seats really clean with a nice matte finish. I wiped the leather seats with a damp MF before and after the cleaning process (Thanks TOGWT). I did notice some dye transfer in the areas that were originally damaged during the last good cleaning, but it was hard to tell because my interior is charcoal grey (almost black).

I protected the leather seats with Leatherique Pristine Clean and a really light coat of SCG's Voodoo Leather. Both of these products maintained the matte finish.

I apologize for not including pics, but my camera broke.

2. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

did you use Leather Cleaner+?

3. GDAL

GDAL Guest

How are ya Michael?

I used the regular leather cleaner ... same color as the CG's microfiber wash.

:100post: x 10 !!!!

4. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

sweet man. I got some just havent tried it. Glad to hear it works well. I need to clean my seats in my ride. So i'll do a test as well.

5. GDAL

GDAL Guest

I really think foaming the product helps a lot. It really gets everywhere without having to soak the product. I could see all the dirt coming off the seats

6. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

For your foaming bottle, was that something you picked up or did you steal one from the wife?

I have heard good things about CG leather cleaner, glad to read another reason to try it.

7. GDAL

GDAL Guest

I bought a few bottles on ebay. Let me find the link and I'll send you a PM.

8. froboy272

froboy272 Obsessive Detailer

they sell a hand sanitizer at walmart that comes in a foaming pump. i dumped it out and rinsed the container and use that for leather cleaner now.

9. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

they sell foam sprayers as well that you can get from numerous places.

10. domino

domino Welcome to Detailing

you should follow up with Poorboys Leather Stuff now to maintain it - for some reason i just imagine the CG cleaner being quite harsh as it's a liquid detergent

im a bit weary of these all in one cleaners and conditioners, but since i had good results with the 1Z leather cleaner, i gave the Poorboys a shot

it wont deep clean, but would make for a great maintenance product on black leather as it does dry with a matt finish. More matt than the Z-10, SV Feed and Gliptone Conditioner ive been using. Worked just as well as the 1Z, but with the bonus of leaving behind a leather smell

11. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

so the CG stuff is harsh? I have their combo cleaner and a separate conditioner from them as well. No all in one here but i do have black leather. I also ordered some foam sprayers tonight.

12. GDAL

GDAL Guest

Domino ... I really think if the CG's stuff was such a harsh product it would have removed the rest of the dye that is barely covering my 12 year old leather. I'm not dissagreeing with you, but I didn't have any issues that would indicate that this product is really harsh on the leather. That being said ... I don't see myself using CG's leather cleaner as my maintenance product. I think Leatherique's Pristine Clean is great for this purpose.

13. domino

domino Welcome to Detailing

just a hunch guys from reading through the 4-5 products CG have for this one task - in true CG fashion

i may be totally wrong

im just ott cautious about what cleaners to use on leather, i have to maintain all different types from uncoated italian hides, to german nappa leather, to "clear coated" japanese leather

14. GDAL

GDAL Guest

I hear you on being cautious with expensive leather... but my GM leather isn't that great. I got LM stuff for the expensive leather. I just wanted to clean it good. I might be redying it soon ... lets see.

15. getcha

getcha Jedi Nuba

Love this stuff on hammered OEM coated leather!