CG JetSpeed Air Dryer or Metro Vac SK-1

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by dr.jay, Sep 8, 2011.

1. dr.jay

dr.jay Birth of a Detailer

Hey guy I'm looking for a cheap air dryer for my cars, narrowed it down to these 2, anyone have any experience with either. Or maybe you can make me a suggestion on another unit

2. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

30.00 craftsman leaf blower......... 150mph of air, works great and is cheap.

3. Upper Class Detailing

Upper Class Detailing DB Pro Supporter

a leaf blower is just too much...it;s killing a fly with a hammer, lol. I got Metro SideKick....works like a charm.

4. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

I use the blower on the Metro Vac n Blo works great. But if you already got a vacuum I would just pick up a leaf blower like Karl mentioned. Cheap and work just as great.

5. Kilo6_one

how so? explain.............

eventually I want to get the Metro, its much smaller then the craftsman vac that I have etc. etc. but I just can't justify spending that much when the leaf blower does the same thing, may not be as sexy and niche as the the metro, and im not knocking it. But really...... how is it better?

6. stottie

stottie Birth of a Detailer

i use a leaf blower also, it gets the job done and quick. people prolly look at me like what the hell is wrong with that guy but hey, it works.

7. Kilo6_one

ive seen the metro.... again, not knocking it, but the leaf blower has a much wider range, I can do my entire car which has Cquartz in under 5 minutes, it pushes water off very quickly, while it may not be as maneuverable, it definatley gets the job done and then some.

8. IOMCAMARO

IOMCAMARO DB Forum Supporter

9. Kilo6_one

I saw that, really cool.........

10. kakeuter

kakeuter DB Forum Supporter

I currently use a Stihl leaf blower, $150. We've had the same Rigid vac since we started, but if I were to get another one I would go with the Metro and have a dual-purpose machine. But for now, vac works fine and the stihl works great, so I'm content.

All depends what the end user is looking for I guess (cost, quality, convenience), everyone has their preferences. Good luck!

-Kody-

11. hamza7

hamza7 Welcome to Detailing

I think Rcrew used this to dry a R8, he said it was good.

12. dr.jay

Thanks for all the input guys, I was really hoping to get a review on the jetspeed. I guess I'll give it a whirl and throw up a review. Or maybe I'll grab both and do a comparison

13. jsraaf

jsraaf Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I'm seeing that there are several Metro Vac n Blo models available. Is there a particular one that you guys are referring to?

14. dr.jay

took a shot and ordered the jetspeed, will do a review when it arrives

15. maxepr1

maxepr1 Jedi Nuba

Owned the CG blower, junk! Don't waste you money! Not enough power for what it costs! Had it for about 6 weeks and tried to give it a chance but after about 2 dozen cars had to get rid of it! Found myself having to go back and wipe down the runs from the nooks and crannies that would slow the LSP stage. Best blower out there is a Toro electric, you can get them on sale at the big box stores for $40 on sale. Then order a sticker from CG's and place it over the Toro sticker and you got it!

16. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

Anyone who has dried both the CG and Sidekick - how do they compare. I have the CG and it's a loud little thing. Is the sidekick quieter?

17. dr.jay

Ok I got the CG Jet Speed, have not used it to dry the car yet but I did turn it on and check the blowing power. At first I didn't realize there was a dial on it and the speed was on 1, was ready to junk it then found the dial turned it up to 6 and blew some money off of my island that was about 15ft away. WOW seems to have a ton of blowing power, not ridiculously loud either. Will give a better review this weekend.

18. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

I had a CG JetSpeed, in fact I think I still have it but it doesn't work anymore. After a year or two, it just stopped staying on. It will turn on for like a split second and then turn off immediately. I do recommend it for its price, but you will obviously still have to go back and dry the vehicle with a towel as well.

Afterwards, I took the recommendation to purchase a high powered electric leaf blower and that was just a disaster. If the nozzle is attached to the blower via a fixed stem, you will end up having to hold and position the leaf blower in all kinds of crazy angles for the vehicle to get dry. And a good electric leaf blower is heavy! The wide nozzle of leaf blowers is also not so great for blowing water off the vehicle.

Now I use a Metro Air Force Blaster (4hp blower only) and that is just fantastic. Noticeably stronger than my CG JetSpeed, has a washable air filter, has a long flexible hose, and a variety of nozzles for the task at hand. Been using it once or twice a week for a couple of years now and no problems so far. Again, not 100% dry but by far the best drying towel I have used.

19. AutoObsessed

AutoObsessed Dealers

A few thing that you need to consider when comparing a leaf blower to the Metro dryers;

Leaf blowers don't have...

- Filtered air, you will pick up anything in the air and throw it at the vehicle with a leaf blower
    - Heated air, the master blasters heat the air, dries faster than non heated
    - Hoses and attachments are all soft rubber, if you come in contact with the vehicle the soft rubber won't damage the vehicle