CG Clay Block

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by J BELL, Feb 26, 2008.

1. J BELL

J BELL Nuba Guru

All of you fellow devoted CG fans, have you ever tried the clay block? I know the concept has meen as a majority rejected, but still interested to see if any pros or anything see any cost benefit in this idea...thanks!

J BELL

2. zoomzoom mazda5

zoomzoom mazda5 Wax on..Wax off

I got it when it was new on CG site and it's IMO for extra fine claying, i have to use a clay bar always. It's just a little too weak for me. Hope this helps.

3. MWAUTOPRO

MWAUTOPRO Jedi Nuba

Ive used the clay block and killed it with too much lube (1/2 tsp CW to 26 oz of water) within 10 cars. It removes heavy contaminants fast and easy but it can leave a ton of marring. I would venture to say for the average person it is over kill but for someone decontaminating and polishing for a living it will save them some money. Like it can leave a lot of marring... If you have serious correction work though after decontamination anyways it really doesn't matter how much marring it puts in.

I much prefer real clay to a clay block, but for the price per decontamination you cant argue too much with the block.

4. advanced detail

advanced detail Two Bucket System Washer

I have a clay block and at first I liked it,then I noticed on the third car I used it on there was some marring.Now I just use it when I'm going to be polishing,if I'm just doing a wash & wax I use a clay bar.

5. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

I personally prefer a clay bar. However if you can use the product correctly, its an amazing $$$$ saver

6. J BELL

J BELL Nuba Guru

Thanks guys, i had heard it was ultra aggressive, i heard it also left behind small black specs from the block itself....in which required claying with real clay to remove so i thought that is just plain stupid...but they claim to do 15-25 cars so that is quite a bit...i can use clay forever on my vehicle because it is a garage queen but really nasty cars just ruin my clay...how often do yall switch out?

7. OrngeZ

OrngeZ Birth of a Detailer

the clay block is an amazing tool if used properly...has a pretty decent learning curve though...it is not a clay to be used as part of weekly wash and waxes if you dont take the time to learn how to use it...it is the perfect clay for polishing prep...it removes contamination in just a couple swipes...lasted me so far about 12 cars and still going strong with plenty of material left....the key to this block is not to use it in typical fashion with a spray bottle of lube and swipe away with the clay block.....it is FAR better to get a clean bucket and fill it with 4 oz of citrus wash n gloss and 1 gallon of water...dunk the block into the water and get as much of the wash water onto the surface you are going to clay squeezing the sponge part as you go...typical quick detailers and clay lubes dont have the lubricity needed for a block like this and unlike normal clays the clay block does not disintegrate from the cleaners found in car wash soaps...this method if done properly will actually yield little to no marring...but lubricity is the key...if you can keep the clay block from dry rubbing a surface you will find that it performs just as well as claymagic blue clay (as far as marring is concerned) ....i also usually follow around with my grout sponge loaded up with the soapy water and squeeze soapy water out of it as well...i guess the biggest this is that you cant have a light misting of lube on the body panel..it has to be a good "sheet" of soapy water across whatever surface you use on the clay block

8. devast8

devast8 New Member

Thanks for the informations guys....I was kinda hesitant trying it

it will be on my next CG order...which should be soon :)