Carnauba waxes over sealants

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by termigator, Mar 2, 2011.

1. termigator

termigator Virgin Detailer

If durability is not a factor, what are the advantages of putting a layer of carnauba wax over a synthetic sealant? I've prepped my car (polished, glazed. Ready for LSP) and I'm going to wax tomorrow and I'm looking for some opinions on differences/advantages of having a wax over a sealant, durability notwithstanding.

2. Xan

Xan Virgin Detailer

Sealants tend to be more glossy and slick but offer longer protection, with a carnauba the paint gets a little more deepness and glow but won't last as long.

By topping carnauba over a sealant you get the best of both worlds...

It's all about personal preference in the end...

3. junebug

junebug Jedi Nuba

YMMV - but I've never seen the advantage to topping a sealer with a wax, every combo I tried always looked worse and I lost the slickness the sealer had. If you have to do it, try just the hood first and see how you like it before doing the whole car and hating your life afterwards.

4. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

I like topping my go to sealant (Einszett Glanz) with a nuba all the time. I like the look.

5. rfinkle2

rfinkle2 DB Forum Supporter

Personally, I think carnauba waxes are more resistant to water spotting and bird crap than sealants.

6. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

^^ Great point.

7. JoeyV

JoeyV Welcome to Detailing

Unless your are using a "combo" like BF gloss polish and Wet diamond. I say stick with 845 + a nuba.

8. dday

dday Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I do the exact same, I top my 1Z Glanz with Dodo Juice Blue Velvet Pro and it looks amazing.

9. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

Where I live its 115 degrees sometimes during the summer, wax lasts about a month it seems so I only tend to do the Nuba over Sealant during the fall through spring monthes, and it has made a world of difference, like Rfinke2 states, Nuba offers more protection from the elements. During the summer for me its hot and humid....not to mention this car is not daily driven so it sits in my garage which is even hotter....... 125 and up during the hottest parts of they year.

currently Im using 2 coats of MPL with 3 coats of p21s 100%. looks redicoulous on my WRB Sti. different seasons, different set ups.

10. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

I do it out of habit. Either 845 or BFWD for a base coat, then whatever nuba I feel like using. I have to use wax. I have enough to last 2 lifetimes.