Carnauba Wax Storage

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by Marc08EX, May 16, 2010.

1. Marc08EX

Marc08EX Jedi Nuba

I recently bought my Autoglym HD wax and it's my first premium carnauba wax purchase and I want to take care of it. It stated in the box that the wax should be stored in temperatures below 86F. I live in the scorching desert so leaving this wax in the garage is no question. Yesterday while waxing, the wax was already melting! LOL!

So what do you guys do to your carnauba waxes when temperatures reach high 90s or above?

2. kc1337

kc1337 Obsessive Detailer

Store it in your house?

3. lasthope05

lasthope05 Jedi Nuba

You will find a lot of guys just keep their waxes in the basement where its cool or inside the house. Some even buy mini fridges for this exact reason though they will usually have some of the higher end waxes.

4. Ynnekdude

Ynnekdude Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I had a custom-built wax cellar constructed 40 feet beneath my garage. Access is restricted and there are always 4 guards on duty as well as a $500,000 security system keeping watch. Three doors stand between the entrance and waxes. The final door is 48 inches thick and made from titanium. The cellar is kept at 61.4 degrees Fahrenheit with 50% humidity. You already know too much.

All smartassness aside, I just keep my good stuff in a storage room in my basement. All my detail supplies actually hideout in there.

5. Marc08EX

Marc08EX Jedi Nuba

I'm just weary of storing the wax inside the house because it might be emitting some fumes that might be harmful to ones health. But in this case, I might not have a choice since Phoenix summers reach 120F!!!

6. kc1337

Just install a mini fridge in your garage loaded up with beer and wax!

[​IMG]

7. BigAl3

BigAl3 Birth of a Detailer

you'll be fine, put it inside a closet or dresser drawer...

8. 02blackout

02blackout DB Forum Supporter

Fumes lol

I keep my Swissvax Insignis (~$400) right beside my bed....cause its my baby.

9. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

There are no harmful solvents used in Carnauba waxes, check MSDS

10. GDAL

GDAL Guest

I believe I saw a mini-fridge at Wally Mart for $75 bucks.

11. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Storage (Product)

[Store waxes and glazes in a cool dark place preferably refrigerated. Warm them to room temperature overnight before use] Zymöl.

Storing products in a refrigerator or wine cooler adds to the elitist or exclusivity factor, as far as the contents are concerned it has no merit from a chemical standpoint

Water-based car care products should not be stored at temperatures below 35 - 40oF, if they freeze they may become unstable and therefore unusable, ideal storage temperature range- 50- 75oF with an average humidity range. Most car care products have a ‘useful life’ of approximately 2-3 years provided they are stored as above.

Do not store at temperature extremes (below 40 – over 80.0F +) as heat will destabilise emulsified products (wax, polymer sealants, polishes, etc) and avoid extreme temperature swings as the chemicals will become unstable, which will create problems with the performance of the product. Some separate out; others lose their effectiveness if they are heated past a certain point. Most car care products (including Polymers) will separate and may become unusable after being subjected to freezing temperatures

The chemical composition of waxes rarely ever change regardless of what form it is in, whether it is melted to a semi-liquid or remains as a semi-solid. Temperature has little to no effect as far as inhibiting the shelf life of wax, a cool temperatures and constant humidity will slow the evaporation of solvents from the wax, thus keeping the wax softer and easier to use over a longer period of time.

12. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

Due to living in an apartment once again all my waxes, sealants, polishes and such are in containers in my laundry room.

13. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

Due to living in a 2700sf house and a total of 4 different levels, all my detailing supplies are in my... laundry room too. lol.

Except my waxes. Those are in the basement.

14. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

Mine stay in the fridge. I know it really doesn't make a difference as TOGWT said, but in my world it makes me feel better, lol.

15. christian900se

christian900se Obsessive Detailer

I have only ever kept RG55 and CG E-zyme in the fridge because of their soft consistency, everything else has sat out in the garage for however many years I have owned them and have never had any issues. I think the core issue is not about the cooler or warmer tempertures, but rather the amount of fluctuation in temperatures as opposed to a constant one.

16. jaredpointer

jaredpointer Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I keep all of my paste waxes in a fridge in the garage.

17. jackson

jackson Virgin Detailer

Just wanted to share from almost half a world away...

[​IMG]

top bunk:
    water spray (hidden by the DJ Austintacious box)
    DJ Austintacious

bottom bunk:
    Vic Wax Concours 3oz sample
    Colly 915
    M16
    M16
    AG HD Wax
    DJ Fantastic Four

On the door:
    Colly 845
    OCWax
    DJ Test tubes (Orange Crush, Banana Armour, Rainforest Rub, Hard Candy)

18. Marc08EX

Marc08EX Jedi Nuba

I thought people were kidding when they suggested putting it in the fridge........

19. jackson

jackson Virgin Detailer

I put them there for 2 reasons.
    1. Considering where I am
    2. I intend to make them last way way longer for the climate here.

Although my wife and those who know me here think i'm :crasy: but then, they can :kiss:

:peace::cool2:

20. kc1337

Isn't collinite 845 really difficult to use when cold?