Car Pelted By Salt Spreader Truck!

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by Peacemaker, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Two Bucket System Washer

Hey guys,

A smallish winter storm hit the northeast yesterday. On my way home, I was at a red light, and a dump truck carrying tons of salt stopped right next to me in the right turn lane with the spreader on!

I heard what sounded like a machine gun of pellets hitting my car and I quickly realized what it was... I was livid. But I couldn't do anything since it was spraying salt all over my car. It sprayed for probably ~7 seconds or so. When I got home, I looked at the side/rear of the car, and it was brown with salt all over. At this point, it was hailing and had to run inside. It eventually warmed up and turned to rain.

It rained all night and this morning. The car doesn't look brown anywhere in that area. Am I in the clear for now? I would wash it, but its supposed to snow today and Saturday!

BTW - car was recently sealed w/ Griots Paint Sealant.

Thanks.

2. SoCal Garage

SoCal Garage DB Forum Supporter

Between the salt pellets and hail your car is plum beat to hell! ;) You are are going to have to take a closer look at the paint to determine whether the integrity of the paint has been compromised—after washing your car. I would also recommend detailing your car once again—from the beginning and applying a new layer of sealant. Having lived in snow country you can never keep you vehicle clean enough and I was always amazed when drivers would go the entire winter, and then some, while never washing their vehicle.

3. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

Can't you sue the city for something like this? That's ridiculous. Why the hell was he doing that in traffic?

4. artemis53

artemis53 Jedi Nuba

sue, maybe...but not always the best option. I have had friends in LA hit pot holes and deliver the bill for rim repair to the city and it got paid. Much easier route but it will have to be investigated.

Either way, I would count on your car having some kind of damage, and you having some cleaning to do.

Actually, the other day I was at a red light and a dust-control water spraying truck went through the intersection spraying and caused an accident...crazy!

5. dr.jay

dr.jay Birth of a Detailer

This same thing happened to my 335, I didn't think anything was wrong when it happened and we had a snow storm for a couple days after the incident. When I finally got to wash the car the front bumper was destroyed, not only did it pepper the paint but cracked my bumper and CF diffusor. I'd file a police report, ended up needing about $2k in repairs(which the county paid for) for a whole new M bumper with respray and the aftermarket diffusor.

6. BigDreZ28

BigDreZ28 Jedi Nuba

last winter a bunch of our crew from my day job at the dealership were coming back from setting up cars at the baltimore auto show....on i95 in moderate traffic all of a sudden 2 salt trucks line up and start dumping the salt...my goodness that was scary how many cars were swerving around trying to get around it...thought there was going to be a pile up!!! good luck to you and your car.

7. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Two Bucket System Washer

Visually (in the morning day time), the car appears to be OK. I'm debating on washing it today @ the coin op (ONR wash) or waiting until tomorrow after my hour drive to my parents house. If I do have damage to my car, what is the appropriate line of action? Do I file a police report? Call the township and report the truck (I took a photo of it)?

8. SoCal Garage

SoCal Garage DB Forum Supporter

As they say in legal circles: "Time is of the essence." The sooner you file—the better your chances. Call your City Hall, tell them the situation, and ask them what to do next.

9. artemis53

artemis53 Jedi Nuba

if there IS damage, I would notify the city, and ask how they want you to proceed, ask about the police report and if they are at all unclear or anything, just file the report claiming damages, which if there is damage, you should get to a repair shop asap for an estimate.

MOST time I have dealt with anything similar, it has been VERY easy to have it sorted, sometimes I couldn't get anywhere through anyone, so I filed a police report and my insurance paid and THEY pursued reimbursement from the city...that may be another option, and since it was not my fault, it did not affect my premium or anything at all!

Good luck and keep us posted!