Car Dealership Wash

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by Socal Brian, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Socal Brian

Socal Brian DB Forum Supporter

I just returned home from the Honda dealership for an oil change and factory warranty service and I instructed the service manager "don't worry about the wash" and he said OK. So after the service work I walked to my car and ....:shakehead: yes... they washed it!

2. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

Oh that would piss me off! Did they do any "damage"?

3. Socal Brian

No damage. Just overly greasy and wet tire shine! :shakehead:

4. Frankastic

Frankastic Detail Photographer

thats sucks, next time tell them to write it on the repair order, so if they do wash you car, you would have a case in court. Then most likely they will pay for your detail vs going to court with you.

5. Socal Brian

Thanks Franki! I like that idea.

6. doayamaha

doayamaha Virgin Detailer

just glad to hear that they didn't run it through one of those rag beating car washes like we have around here.

7. nth degree

nth degree Virgin Detailer

I've read in a thread elsewhere on this topic and the best advice I read was to make a small sign saying "DO NOT WASH!" and tape it to the steering wheel.

8. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

taping a sign to the window is the best bet.

9. armenakadino

armenakadino Birth of a Detailer

Just be persistent and after a while they will remember to not wash your car thats what happened at my dealer. My only problem is at the dealer and costco has those numbers they put on the roof and it scratched my roof

10. TheRustySuper

TheRustySuper Obsessive Detailer

Yeah I like the idea of affixing a sign somewhere to the car that very plainly instructs them to NOT wash the car. I've never had the problem myself--the VW dealers around me don't wash cars.

11. Kilo6_one

I always like driving by the Mercedes Benz dealership, especially in the morning to see all the Sheeple getting there "free car wash" before they head off to work........ I just want to cry when I see a SLR or SL63, being run through the gauntlet of minimum wage workers with the brooms and red shop towels, they do not even use the cheapo microfiber.......... but hey. ITS FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! right?

12. Socal Brian

reminds me of the expression "you get what you pay for" LOL

13. Kilo6_one

but they get a free cup of coffee and the porters stroke their ego........ LOL.

14. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

go back. if your car was detailed and needs to be detailed again they owe you money. had 2 customers that dealership paid to redetail their cars after they been instructed not to wash the car

15. bigpoppa

bigpoppa Jedi Nuba

I'm surprised that people on this forum wouldn't be more vigilant about dealer washes. The only thing that works 100% of the time is to tape a massive sign to the steering wheel which says "DO NOT WASH" (and perhaps toss another one on the passenger side of the dash for good measure).

Even if you tell the service writer not to wash it, they have to remember to write it on the RO, and THEN the tech who works on the car has to notice it so he doesn't send it to their "detail" bay or car wash to be washed. The whole "wash after service" thing is so routine to them that only a big sign on the steering wheel/windshield where it would be impossible to miss is guaranteed to work. Keep in mind the techs often just glance at the RO and work on so many cars per day that they don't thoroughly read every single one.

16. Bmer89

Bmer89 DB Forum Supporter

I detail for a Mercedes dealership, and I can tell you it hurts me to watch the wash guys handle cars. We no longer do hand washes because "they take too long". So the car gets a splash of degreaser, and it's run through our car wash. Also, the detailing supplies available to me there are not the greatest compared to what I'm used to at home. I never make my flat rate hours because I care too much about my work, which sucks for me...

17. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I second this. We went as far as to make up a sign, have it laminated and we zap strap it to the steering wheel so anyone getting in it will see not to wash it.