Can you use a slick soap as clay lube?

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by MrPolished&Waxed, Mar 3, 2008.

1. MrPolished&Waxed

MrPolished&Waxed Obsessive Detailer

I mixed some nxt wash/water and was using it as lube for claying is that okay or should you stick to strictly QD's?

2. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

it should work fine... as long as the clay doesn't bite the paint, you can use it. if the clay starts to grab the paint, than you may want to up the mix of soap.

when i clay, i normally do it as I am washing... but using a QD would be easier in that you just wipe off the qd, no problem, if soap dries on the paint, well we both know that isn't good

3. LanceM

LanceM DB Forum Supporter

you can. i know zaino says use z7 for clay lube

4. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

I use soap when I clay. Some people say itll dry out the clay, but I havent had any problems.

5. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

some types of soaps will break down the clay. So it just depends on the combo.

Personally I dont like it because its easier to control the lubrication with a QD IMO

6. richy

richy Guest

I just started to use ONR as a clay lube the end of last year and I loved it. Before that I was using FK 425.

7. joep

joep Welcome to Detailing

:agree: with FMINUS & richy :thumb:

8. MrPolished&Waxed

yeh but the cost is really lopsided...

9. joep

joep Welcome to Detailing

1 gallon of Megs no touch detailer spray goes for $16.99 diluted 1 to 1 makes two gallons which make the cost of a gallon $8.50...

10. klumzypinoy

klumzypinoy Nuba Guru

You can use soapy water. I recommend DP 4 in 1 or ONR with the quick detailer dilution ratio. Works really great :)

11. MrPolished&Waxed

you mean last touch? Could you still use it diluted 1:1 on door jambs?

12. J BELL

J BELL Nuba Guru

I use last touch 1:1 for claying....it is a great option and very economical...and yes you can use it 1:1 even as an after wash QD....i think it all boils down to personal preference..some use it straight...others dilute

13. O4COBRA

O4COBRA Birth of a Detailer

I usually use car wash as lube when I clay. But like the above post, Last Touch is great as a lube.

14. Al-53

Al-53 Welcome to Detailing

yes..some soaps will make clay fall apart....megs gold class did it for me....ONR worked the best...and like Joe P said megs last touch worked fine also....I also used the DG Marine detail spray cut 50/50 for clay lube and worked fine also....but some soaps will cause clay to crumble...

the old Eagle one red car soap worked good..but its no longer made..they changed it...now its blue....

Al

15. pirex

pirex DB Certified Dealer

I like to use ONR, DP4in1 or last touch.

16. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

You can do it, but I've had some bad results with my clay breaking because of it. Once it breaks, it's useless.

Now I only do QDs, and often mix them 50:50 with water.

17. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

I'm with richy, klumzy, and pirex on this one. I use DP 4n1 or ONR diluted to their recommended amounts for clay lube and it works great. DP is like 1.5 oz of DP 4n1 to 32 oz of water. Very economical.

18. pirex

pirex DB Certified Dealer

ONR:

Add 2 ounces of No Rinse Wash & Shine to a gallon of water to make a super-slick clay bar lubricant.

And DP 4in1 is 1.5 ounces to 32oz?

Thats a big difference!!

19. exoticGuy

exoticGuy Birth of a Detailer

And here I just use water. I've done it that way for a while, and have never had a problem. I've gone the route where I used different products like QDs, soaps, and glass cleaners. In my opinion? Water works just as well, so I stick with that. The only cost is the spray bottle!

20. richy

richy Guest

I've tried that too, but I just found I felt better having a product with good lubricity next to the paint...hence the recent usage of ONR.