Can you top Cquartz?

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by advs1, Nov 20, 2010.

1. advs1

advs1 DB Forum Supporter

Ok so I am going to be doing a Yukon next week using Cquartz. I haven't read any where that you can/should top Cquartz with anything? I don't want to leave the car for a year with out putting protection on once in a while. I'm hoping this customer becomes a regular maintenance customer and want to be able to provide accurate info.

Sorry if it's been covered

2. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

Yeah, ReLoad.

3. advs1

advs1 DB Forum Supporter

Nothing else?

4. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

You can top it with anything you like, nuba, sealant...just dont use anything like a AIO as the abrasives will compromise the film.

5. advs1

advs1 DB Forum Supporter

thanks. so i can continue to wax the vehicle on a regular basis with out problems?

6. Emile

You can top with whatever, but I suggested ReLoad because it is a glass-based coating just like CQuartz so it would provide the same look and would be the proper product to "refresh" the original CQuartz coating.

You can wax and/or seal on top of the CQuartz but I think that over time, the solvents in the wax (during the bonding process) would degrade the coating and you wouldn't get the claimed 2 years of durability.

7. kyoshiro

kyoshiro DB Forum Supporter

but we love to top up with wax every few months!

8. Emile

That's why I'm just not using CQuartz on my car for now.:thumb:

9. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

why would you wanna top Cquartz anyway? It's a very durable coating to begin with, and the best way to test it's durability would be not topping it with anything...

10. christian900se

christian900se Obsessive Detailer

I tested Cquartz with a regular wax layer on top and it amplified beading substantially. In fact, you know a LSP produces spectacular beading when it makes whatever quick detailer/spray wax bead perfectly when you spritz them on the paint.

However, topping Cquartz means that you then negate the benefits of having a nano coating; ease of cleaning, super durable, and sheeting. Besides, a wax will not really alter the looks of the coated paint anyway. I used to be a waxaholic but I have to admit that simply using Cquartz once every year or two and simply using a spray sealant like Reload saves a huge amount of time and performs better in every way.

11. d964

d964 Two Bucket System Washer

you can top it with Caranuaba wax , but...!
    wax is oil,
    oil absorb dust , the whole idea is to have dust and dirt self cleaning effect with the cquartz,
    thats why its better to use non organic base coatings.

this car was driven 700km thru heavy rain, dirty roads, and real bad weather, left side waxed with Migliore Frutto wax, right side coated with cquartz,
    see the difference :
    [​IMG]

12. sulla

sulla Virgin Detailer

Well to some the joy of detailing is the process of waxing and the 'look' you get after waxing.. Cquartz can do things waxes cant.. For example with its scratch resistant feature I 'may' safely bring it to those 20 bucks automated car wash and not worry about swirls.. After that if I want to get that souveran look
    or the supernatural look I can proceed with waxing after it's done on the conveyors

Christian and d964 can you guys confirm if it's possible to do the above ? Will topping cquartz compromise its scratch resistant feature ?

13. d964

d964 Two Bucket System Washer

Cquartz is not 100% swirls proof... nothing like this in the world, autowash car was still can scratch the surface, but less than any other sealants or coats.
    you can wax it as much as you want.. just better to use nuba wax base , not petroleum.
    it wont affect the hardness , no.

14. christian900se

christian900se Obsessive Detailer

I agree, you cannot replicate the experience of applying a fine wax as the last step to get your car looking spectacular! I was and still am a huge wax addict (as evidenced by the number I have in my collection) but the benefits of leaving the Cquartz to do its job far exceeds the feeling of wanting to wax the car.

I can definitely tell that bird droppings barely make a dent on the coated panels of my car while the uncoated (still wearing 2 layers of Collinite 845) seem to instantly etch. I cannot comment on how much more scratch resistant Cquartz is than the paint, but again the coated panels are still as scratch/swirl free as the day I polished them to perfection (followed by a coating of Cquartz). I only wash the car with ONR and it sits outside.

The best difference I have seen is that once I have washed the car, the panels that are protected with regular sealant/wax feel like their slickness and beading are a notch below what they were last time. However, the Cquartz'ed panels go right back to their original slickness after wash after wash with identical beading/sheeting.

15. yakky

yakky Two Bucket System Washer

Exactly. Why top if you are going to use something else? This whole layering business is out of control.

16. advs1

advs1 DB Forum Supporter

well for me its not about layering but more about proving a service to my customer. this is not for me! i have a show truck/weekend cruiser and an AM DB9 i am going to be using this on. one my regular customer and used to having the cars i do for them waxed on a regular basis. i dont want to chance not asking if i should to top Cquartz and run the risk of doing a disservice to my customer. the other person i want to make my customer and i dont want to say, ok cquartz done, see you next year!. thats leaving money on the table and not providing good service to my customer

17. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Best thing about birth control is that you do not need to purchase condoms....

18. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Lol! But sometimes you just need it mentally.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

19. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

In those scenarios... It's best to walk away, take a cold shower or something.

PS... My 2000th post is about shady women and blue balls. Haha love it

20. rwright

rwright Birth of a Detailer

Just a couple questions here:

Are you not explaining the difference between sealants, wax, and coatings to your customers? They need to understand this up front which may help with their decision.

How are you marketing the product? Just the same as a wax or sealant, or what it truly is - a nano coating with a longer lifespan?

Are you selling it at the same rate as a sealant? Since this is a nano coating with a longer lifespan you should be marking up the overall cost. If you think coating a car is the end of business, the you're forgetting about maintenance. This is where you need to work on your marketing skills to sell the maintenance of the coating, sell wash packages, etc.