Can someone recommend a good tripod....

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by detailersdomain, Jan 11, 2010.

1. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

I need to get some better shots as suk at this photography stuff any little thing will help and many have said get a tripod.

the camera I'm using is a T1i

Thanks,

2. Tech

Tech Any Rag Vehicle Washer

3. richy

richy Guest

Phil...I'm just getting back into it as well. Definitely use a tripod b/c it allows you to lock in a low ISO so your shots are not grainy to begin with and then play with different fstops and shutter speeds. There was a post today where someone was shooting 3 second shutter speeds and the shots looked great. Of course, like anything else, better equipment means better results. You can't have enought light as well. Better photographers than me will undoubtably have good info as well.

4. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

A tripod will help immensely. If you have the funds, I would search out a Manfrotto or something of that calibre. They are much more stable than, well, the one I use. There is a lot of info available on the web, it just takes time to go through it all. Spend some time at Chapters in the magazine section as well. I tend to use the auto setting for most of my pics because it works well.

5. 911Fanatic

Took some shots last night with about 10 second shutter speed because it was nearly dark in the room. Pics turned out very nice. Wouldn't have been so pretty without a tripod.LOL

6. crew219

crew219 Birth of a Detailer

2nd . . . . cheap yet the quality is well beyond its price. Next step up would be a manifrotto setup (~$2-300)

Phil, you may also want to invest in a cheap fast prime lens. No zoom capability, but the fast lens will allow you to shoot in low light with much less blur.

Dave

7. richy

richy Guest

Kenny..are you using the light meter to determine the length of time for the shutter? I've got to learn that part better and you have the same camera as me.

8. Cooter

Cooter Guest

I've got a nice C.F. Dynatran tripod. Manfrotto makes a great product.
    Adorama's own brand Flashpoint are pretty nice tripods too.

9. willjco

willjco DB Forum Supporter

10. 911Fanatic

I use the A setting and it sets the shutter speed itself. Funny though, after farting around with it I took a pic on auto and got the same result. Guess auto is there for a reason. LOL All the same, its fun to play with the settings.

11. detailersdomain

what makes Manfrotto better than say a sunpak?

12. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Build quality really. It's probably in your best interest to check out a camera shop and compare the differences there. IMO, it's definitely worth spending the money on a quality tripod and head as it will certainly last for a long time.

13. detailersdomain

can you post some good ones for between 150-250..

14. Duratys

Duratys Welcome to Detailing

190cx3

I have the 190cx3 and its been great so far. Sturdy and lightweight.

15. Denzil

Denzil Guest

16. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Don't forget to also get a remote trigger. If you use a tripod, and you press and release the shutter button, you will still get some camera shake.

They are quite cheap.

17. Duratys

Duratys Welcome to Detailing

Good call P1et :thumb:

18. Denzil

Denzil Guest

I should probably do the same but for the meantime I have been using the 2-second delay setting on my camera. :p:

19. detailersdomain

got it and boy its a nice piece

Manfrotto

Thanks guys!

20. 911Fanatic

Which one did you get, Phil?