Can I polish at 12,000 OPMs?

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by Shaun Mcgowan, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Shaun Mcgowan

Shaun Mcgowan Virgin Detailer

I have this dual action dewalt orbital sander/polisher that my pops hasnt used, its a D421 one speed 12,000 OPMs. I know this is a little too fast for polishing but would it hurt the paint in any way? I dont want to have to buy a new DA when I have a perfectly good one in my garage. Has anyone had any expirience with this or heard anything about polishing with a da at such high speed?

2. DirtyWeRX

DirtyWeRX DB Forum Supporter

I.... I would say no, don't do it lol

3. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

Hurt the paint? I think that would hurt the sheet metal.

4. Shaun Mcgowan

5. chemgys99

chemgys99 DB Forum Supporter

If you don't have experience with a low opm machine then I wouldn't even begin to try that one. Those are usually used for sand the body down so you could easily burn through the paint.

6. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

isnt the Flex 3401 like 9600 opm? so its not THAT much more powerful...

7. astro_ng

astro_ng Jedi Nuba

The flex has speed settings though...

8. chemgys99

Well so does some of those da's but they are set up differently then the flex. I'm sure it can be done but with someone inexperienced it should not be tried IMO.

9. Kaban

sure does, but most of the time guys are running them at full power anyway for any correction work... best thing to do is try it on a junk panel first or an old car that nobody cares about and see if you like it.

10. Shaun Mcgowan

i'd be using it for paint correction, moderate swirls and RDS.
    I would hit it with M105, M205, Glaze, wax.

11. bakchoi

bakchoi Birth of a Detailer

Do you guys actually use 9600 opm on the Flex 3401?

12. mrd0t

mrd0t Obsessive Detailer

9600 opm is with no load. But I use speed 5 and sometimes 6 which is max I believe.

13. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

even with experience it is still sketchy.............

14. Shaun Mcgowan

Sketchier than never having expirience polishing with a Dewalt DW849 rotary? Because I got one of those too.

15. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

rotos are sketchy period IMO........ even with the most skill its not hard to create a mess, we all have done it.

16. ercapoccia

ercapoccia Virgin Detailer

The more the speed the more the heat on paint, pad and backing plate. If you polish a plastic panel you could melt and deform it.

17. Kaban

Pretty sure the OPs machine is 12000 no load either... because load can mean alot of different things; not a standard number.

18. Shaun Mcgowan

arent most DAs and rotos rated at no load? i've read alot about using a rotary and dual actions and have download detailingworlds rotary polishing guide. even if the paint gets to hot with the DA i have, i know how to check it you just simply feel it with the back of your hand.

19. Kaban

you can do that with a rotary too....

20. chemgys99

When i first started out I've burnt through bumpers that were cool to touch. It doesn't take much. Bottom line just save up and start out with a porter cable or gg orbital. It's the safest way and you wouldn't have to worry about f-ing up you car. Don't risk something that you have no idea what your doing. Just read around the forum and see what all you will need with an pc or gg.