C63 Bliss...

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by Carn, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Carn

Carn Welcome to Detailing

This past weekend I had the opportunity to spruce up a nearly new C63 AMG :worship2:

This particular car was almost brand new with only 6000km or so on the clock. The front end had some sandblasting already, no doubt due to it being driven in anger (who could resist with the sound of that engine :devil:)

Righty then, onto some pics...

The car on arrival...Aside from some dust from having been parked for a while the car appeared to be relatively clean
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wheels weren't too bad
    [​IMG]

Pipes needed a clean...
    [​IMG]

1st up the wheels and this time I decided to put a new product to the test...3M's Wheel and Tire cleaner. This is part of their new retail range so I was keen on seeing how it would fare, albeit on fairly clean wheels!

[​IMG]

Product applied
    [​IMG]

I elected to use the Ez brush to give a truer indication of the cleaning ability without using stiff bristled brushes
    [​IMG]

And the results after rinsing
    [​IMG]

As you can see the barrels came up pretty well with only isolated patches of more stubborn dirt. There was also some stains on the calipers that weren't fully removed so it was out with the Raceglaze XL brush for another go...

[​IMG]

Much better!
    [​IMG]

The wheel back brush came in handy when cleaning up the arches...Rear arches with felt lining
    [​IMG]

And the front's with APC applied and then scrubbed
    [​IMG]

And rinsed down
    [​IMG]

The front wheels with the massive brake calipers needed the use of the slender RG XL brush to clean
    [​IMG]

And all done
    [​IMG]

Overall I found the 3M Wheel Cleaner worked pretty well. Whether or not it will be able to match the Sonax on more neglected wheels remains to be seen, but from this initial test it appears to be effective!

After the wheels and arches were taken care of it was time for the wash stage. The car was foamed with a new shampoo sample I received and initial results were promising...

[​IMG]

After foaming the car was rinsed and I attended to all the small details (cleaning emblems, shuts, etc). After another rinse the car was washed using the 2BM and then clayed and dried (sorry no pics).

With the car still being almost brand new there was very little in the way of swirling and RIDS. I tried to capture a few but being light in colour with gloomy basement lighting I struggled to capture anything worthwhile showing.

Product of choice today was Menzerna's PO85RE5 finishing polish and 3M's blue Ultrafina polishing pad. Some of the areas with isolated RIDS got P203S on the yellow pad, before being jeweled with the 85RE.

[​IMG]

After giving the paint a once over it was time for a final wash before attending to the small details. LSP of choice was Werkstat's Acrylic kit (Prime, Jett and Glos) with trim getting Satin Prot, tires getting my new gel sample and glass being cleaned with Sonax Glass cleaner.

The wheels were sealed with Collinite 845 and came up great!
    [​IMG]

Tailpipes were scrubbed with abrasive pads and then polished with Raceglaze Alutech metal polish
    [​IMG]

With everything completed I parked the car for the night and elected to return on Sunday morning to get some photo's outside in the natural light...

Some outdoor shots...Well a lot actually :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some detail shots...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wheels and tires...
    [​IMG]

Some more (sorry I couldn't resist!)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Parting shot
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking :thumb:

2. 02blackout

02blackout DB Forum Supporter

Gah thats such a sick car. And its a sedan too!
    I dream of detailing a C class

3. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Nice, great job on the C man! That car really is a beast, interested in the new soap and dressing you are testing out. Any information you can give on it yet?

4. froboy272

froboy272 Obsessive Detailer

Nice work. Is that a toilet bowl brush? lol

5. Ynnekdude

Ynnekdude Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I cannot get over how good those wheels look! Great job!

6. JonM

JonM Guest

Car looks great, but that tire dressing looks really nice

7. RNickolas

RNickolas Obsessive Detailer

i can't get over how good the car looks lol!

8. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

What a dreamy car!!

Thanks for the mini review of the 3M wheel cleaner also.

9. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Great work! I know it's a popular color, but WOW, still one of my favorites!

10. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

Nice work Dave. Which foam cannon did you end up getting?

11. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

That colour on that car rocks. Great job David!

12. domino

domino Welcome to Detailing

great job - same colour as my old one

didnt take much to get it looking good, the merc clear coat is very bright, similar to the Audi/VW stuff. I just used Z-AIO and Z2-Pro and it looked unreal. I later topped it with P21S and it just killed the reflections and clarity. A colour like that would have been the ideal candidate to try the full BF wet shine kit, but i never got around to it

very good daily the C63, i bought mine back when they were just released here in Aus and people used to do double takes trying to work out if that insane V8 sound was coming from this little grey merc.... had alot of fun, but the fuel consumption was off the scale. If you gave a bit you could actually see the fuel guage needle move

but alas it was sold to make way for my gtr

13. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Every part of every one of your details is executed perfectly, nice job once more Dave!

14. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

lookin really good! im not a big merc fan but i just LOVE these C63s.

15. michakaveli

michakaveli Welcome to Detailing

Great Job! Those new C-Class three-pointed-star's look Great! :mounty:

16. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

amazing work, David!