C5 Corvette now in liquid black

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by Rcrew, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

Worked on a flat black C5 Corvette recently at an outstanding tuner in Vancouver, WA (Wong's Performance Engineering). The car was in extremely good shape, the owner has done an outstanding job of maintaining this 10 year old car. I believe he is a member of DB, hopefully he will join this conversation.
    Goal for the correction process was to remove some deeper scratches and minor swirling around the car. The clear was well, like a rock (sorry couldn't resist). All correction was done with SIP/Flex3403 and finished with 85rd/Makita9227c. Cut was adjusted with various pads from wool to finishing.
    Car was initially wiped down with Opti-Clean, followed by IPA. Paint was super clean and did not need claying. After that, some trim pieces and the bottom of the convertible top were taped off. LSP was Power Lock, and the convertible top recieved 303 fabric guard. Door jambs and wheels wiped with Opti-Clean and Opt-QD. Glass cleaned spotlessly and trim pieces and tires were dressed with Opti-bond.

Onto the correction....

Defects on driver side, including some decal outlines.
    before
    [​IMG]
    after
    [​IMG]
    Edge of hood/bumper before
    [​IMG]
    After 1 pass
    [​IMG]
    Nose before
    [​IMG]
    Nose after
    [​IMG]
    Before
    [​IMG]
    After
    [​IMG]
    Passenger side before
    [​IMG]
    after
    [​IMG]
    Swirls!
    [​IMG]
    All gone
    [​IMG]
    Did a bit of hand polishing in the tight areas
    [​IMG]

50/50s were hard to get on this car, due to a lack of surface level swirls, but here is one. Left side untreated, right side polished
    [​IMG]
    Passenger rear before
    [​IMG]
    After cut, before refinement
    [​IMG]
    Trunk deck before
    [​IMG]
    Cleaned up
    [​IMG]
    Did I mention why this car was in the shop? It was getting a new engine so 550 horses could be put to the back rubber! The owner fired it up for me and it definitely got my attention!!!
    [​IMG]
    Hood all finished up
    [​IMG]
    Another hood shot, love all of the newly polished contours and the way they throw the reflections around
    [​IMG]
    Wheels and rubber finished up
    [​IMG]
    Final shots
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. kyoshiro

kyoshiro DB Forum Supporter

nice work Shane!

3. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

Thanks my friend!

4. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

Absolutely beautiful work, Shane !

That black finished paint looks very glossy and deep - gotta love that Menzerna PowerLock. Its one of my favorite LSP's, and 2-3 layers always keeps improving the look.

Glad to see that you used Rotary Power to make this turn out so good.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan F

5. rfinkle2

rfinkle2 DB Forum Supporter

That looks better than factory fresh. God bless Menzerna! (I'm not really religious, but God bless them anyway!)

I love working with the 9227 and the nano polishes, don't you?

6. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

Thanks, yes, 9227c + 85rd = win

7. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

Thanks Dan (Washington)!

Power Lock is a great lsp for sure. Wish I would have had a bit more time to apply additional coats to this one.

8. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Excellent work! Some funky defects going on on that Vette, curious to know how those happened, either way really terrific job, car looks superb brotha!

9. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

Thanks Dave!
    Which defects are catching your eye?

10. Upper Class Detailing

Upper Class Detailing DB Pro Supporter

nice turnaround , man!

11. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Looks great! Nice job.

12. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

Thanks guys.:thumb:

13. ctd

ctd Virgin Detailer

Thanks Shane! :thumb:

I'm a recent member of this site & am looking forward to the schooling! I'm very pleased to have the car taking to the next level.

A little background of the car, motor went out last July & I parked it & lost interest. It has been in Vancouver, WA since last Sept for some major changes. I visited this website looking for someone that would undo the life in a shop since Sept. maybe even step it up!

Very good results...now I have to keep it up & learn!

Tx's again
    Dale

14. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

Great turnaround the afters looks very deep and wet

15. TLMitchell

TLMitchell Birth of a Detailer

Had me scratching my head there for a minute, I guess you mean a non-metallic black. Where I come from "flat" black is a no-shine matte finish. ::shrug::

Nicely done! :thumb:

TL

16. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

Dale,

Glad to have you onboard! This is a great community.
    You've done a darn good job keeping the car up and being involved in a community like this will only help your abilities.

17. cnut

cnut DB Forum Supporter

Good work

18. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

Thanks!
    For me, matte is matte and flat is non-metallic.

19. Cooter

Cooter DB Forum Supporter

Nice save!! Looks great!! Man I love a clean black car. Excellent work. Beautiful vette!

20. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

Me too, black can be the best or worst color.