Bug/Tar Remover

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by RekeHavoc, Apr 20, 2013.

1. RekeHavoc

RekeHavoc Any Rag Vehicle Washer

What is the preferred choice? Currently using Stoner Tarminator and although it claims its "clear coat safe" its a fairly strong product from my experience. I am wondering if its strong enough to eat through wax or Menz Powerlock? I don't necessarily use it every time i wash my car but during those hot Californian summers, the bumper tends to turn into a "bug trophy collection" and i find my self using stoners tarminator lol. So is it ok to apply over waxes and sealants, my main concern is whether it will weaken it or eat through it completely.

Thanks

2. fech

fech Birth of a Detailer

TarX is the best product I have used for that. You wont be sorry with it. It will, however from my experience with it, remove your wax. But like I said, I haven't used anything better.

3. RekeHavoc

RekeHavoc Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Well see that's my problem, i need something that works and doesn't strip your wax/sealant. Once your car has sealant/wax its already easier to get rid of the bugs in my experience since you have that extra coating between clear coat and the bugs, makes it easier to wash off, so i need something that's not powerful but works.

4. rjd598

rjd598 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I was in the same situation as you. Auto finesse citrus power is pretty awesome and won't strip any sealant. I've tested it multiple times and my wax is still intact

5. GDAL

GDAL Super Moderator

Please be careful with all bug/tar removers. Don't let them dwell because they will chemically "burn" the paint on plastics. You make sure you spray the product, let it dwell for a minute or two, wipe off, and wash the area again. IME, the paint burn does come off with light polishing, but I wouldn't risk it.

6. bigaudiofanatic

bigaudiofanatic Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I use to use TarX until I found CG bug and tar wash, stuff is very good and removing bugs quickly, even diluted.

7. Auto Concierge

Auto Concierge DB Pro Supporter

Yep^^^^^^^ just make sure the bumper is very wet w/water and use gloves.

8. black-n-silver

black-n-silver Any Rag Vehicle Washer

We get love bugs here twice a year and the acid in their bodies can eat into the clear coat. I have had good luck soaking the bumper with MF. I pre-soak the areas, then put several thin microfiber towels in my wash solution and place them over the 'buggy' areas (and tie them around the mirrors too). I let them sit for 5-10 minutes (I usually do the wheels) and can usually wipe the bugs off.