Bug Cleaner

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by Wes_R, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Wes_R

Wes_R Birth of a Detailer

I am almost out of my Poor Boy's Bug Squash and just wanted to hear everyone else's recommendations on a good alternative.

2. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

1z insect spray is pretty good but it is expensive compared to PB. I also like CG Strong Wash, works great on bugs and is inexpensive.

3. wagonproject

wagonproject Jedi Nuba

Surf City Garage "Road Trip Grime Destroyer," works awesome.

4. RustyBumper

RustyBumper Jedi Nuba

+1 I like it because you can get it locally and because it also works well. Kinda pricey, but you can dilute it to make it last longer.

5. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

6. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

1Z Blitz is $75 for 10 liters, and @3:1 work very well on bugs...very cost effective if you ask me...

7. Bunky

Bunky Guest

I have the DG stuff and it seems to be ok and appears to be LSP safe. I picked up some PB in trade so I will have a chance to compare. The PB is diluted 3:1.

Al

8. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Bug Sponge

The 'bug sponge' was the brainchild of Ian Harold Brown of the 3M labs in St Paul, Minnesota. This sponge featured rigid polyether reinforced with an abrasive and hard-wearing polyethylene compound to effectively remove dried-on insect residue from vehicle windshields. This remarkable product quickly and safely removes the toughest bug grime and tar residues, without marring the paint finish. Since its introduction in 1974, the bug sponge has been one of 3M's least known success stories.

1Z einszett Anti-Insekt + Pre-Cleaner - contains special cleaners which loosens insects and grime from paintwork, chrome, glass, rubber and plastic gently and safely without harsh chemical solvents which remove wax and polish from the paintwork. Use in conjunction with a 3M bug sponge, simply spray on surface, allow to dwell for 3 minutes then hose off. Formula does not contain enzymes, which can irritate skin, is biodegradable, formalin-free, and environmentally safe.

9. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

togwt, is that the yellow hard sponge? I believe I have one laying around from Autogeek. I remember how nervous I was using it the first time.

10. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

I have one of those and they work well, I know what you mean when you say you were nervous as I was too. Thinking how is something this hard not going to f-up the paint! I now use one of those bug sponges, its pretty much a sponge with a mesh like MF cover...works pretty well got it from K-mart for a buck or two. Like it better than the hard sponge.

11. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

LA's Awesome APC from Dollar General, $3 for 64oz... you can not go wrong with this stuff at all!

12. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

That's the one that makes me nervous, I'm always worried that the nylon mesh will cause scratches

13. richy

richy Guest

2 thoughts I'll share here...DG Bug remover is great and cheap by the gallon. For anyone concerned about the bug sponge (I know I was at first), you can allay your fears by pouring a little ONR on it and it'll be slick as hell and will still remove the bugs.

14. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

There are some that are like MF web, or cotton web...not nylon...Also like to use the shmitt yellow side if there are alot of bugs.

15. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

JL introduced me to the bug sponges, and they're awesome. Majestic stocks them, they're yellow, brick-shaped things. They usually keep them over near the counter, in the same area where the pet hair brushes are. With a bug sponge and some Surf City grime destroyer, you're pretty much unstoppable.

16. raiderboy

raiderboy Two Bucket System Washer

I use Mark-Vs Extreme as a pre wash before shampooing. Used at about 10-1 dilution its great at removing bugs and road grime. A gallon lasts forever

17. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

I also have the Duragloss equivalent and am very pleased with it.

18. Obsessive Detail

Obsessive Detail Pro Detailer - Lifetime Member

I think this is what you are talking about! Bug & Tar Scrubber

I carry a different version now, just haven't updated the picture on my websites. My Bug & Tar Scrubber is actually an oval shape which is a lot easier to grip than the other version.