Buffing with Confidence review

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by Nica, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Nica

Nica Banned

As some of you know I purchased the Buffing with Confidence video and after watching the video over and over and over I’m ready to do a review. So here goes:

Well where to start. How about the topics that the video covers:
    • Paint technology - gives you a nice history on how vehicle are painted and how new technology is helping out the industry. I found this to be very interesting because it showed the different lawyers of protection the vehicle has.
    • Paint problems - this part I really enjoyed. It literally shows you what problems you can fix and what problems you can not fix. In addition, it gives you a general sense as to what to look out for too.
    • Paint preparation – at first I thought this a little tedious but it turned out to be a great part, when I saw the video a few times. This section covered the washing and claying and how to do both properly.
    • Buffing products - this part of the video I found to be very informative and what I enjoyed the most was the variety of products that were shown. No particular product was ever pushed (kind of). It did a good job of explaining polishing products with respect to compounding. Very nice section.
    • Buffing pads and backing plates - this one was okay, nothing special just general information on the backing plates.
    • Buffers - I enjoyed this one, the video shows a variety of buffers and the nice thing is it shows you how to use it properly. I really enjoyed the technique he used when using the machine at the lower panels (you know the one’s underneath the doors). I picked up some nice pointers on this one.
    • Prepping the vehicle - this was one of the parts that really had me sitting at the edge of my chair (no joke). Show’s you how to do a walk through, what to look for, how to tape certain areas…really good part. Show’s how to avoid damaging certain pieces of the vehicle.
    • Buffing the vehicle – this part I found interesting, it goes through how to use a foam and wool pad(s). It also explains the different types of pads and what each one does. Very informative part. I was very interested in the wool pad.
    • Swirl marks - this was another good section that I enjoyed. It shows you have you got those swirl marks with the rotary and it shows you how to properly remove the swirl marks very good topic.
    • Final step - this part is okay, just goes over the sealants/glaze/wax. This section didn’t really impress me too much but it was still interesting to see.
    • After the buffing is complete - this little insignificant step I found to be a very good topic. Basically it goes through what to inspect when the job is done. Really good pointers as to things that are over looked. I personally really enjoyed this part of it.

If I’m not mistaken that is about all the topics the video covered. Very nice video.

Okay now for my personal opinion on it:

First of all I really wished I new about this video when I started looking at detailing with a machine because it does an excellent job at walking a new person through detailing. I remember when I was starting to detail I didn’t even know what clay was or what it’s purpose was. What to look for in the paint it’s self, what is possible to correct and what is impossible to correct. These plus many more points would have been wicked to have known from the beginning. Here is my theory on education, the more educated you are the better prepare you are when it comes to completing a job (anything in life for that matter). So if I had this video plus the help from the AG members/videos here I would have been in heaven.

This video showed wicked techniques, tips and tricks on how to improve you’re detailing but here are a few tips/techniques that I really like:

• One technique that I really want to master is putting the polish/compound in staggering straight lines and coming with the rotary and scooping it up and working away. This technique is incredible, I’ve been playing around with it and if I spread the polish/compound properly I can do the entire hood, roof or truck with out having to turn off the rotary. Really good technique, when I first started trying it out I was splattering everywhere and there is a trick to pick up and the video shows you how. Show’s you how to approach the straight line of polish/compound and how to pick up with your pad. I’m now trying this technique on door panels and one whole side of a vehicle. This technique is really good when you have large surface areas. I warn you though, with this method there is a potential of wasting product…I know I wastes some product.
    • The other technique that I was impressed by was how to avoid getting polish in the hard to reach areas, between two panels that meet or the hood and the fenders. I remember when I first started polishing I would get polish everywhere but this simple technique really helped me. After watching the video I thought to my self “this is common sense”…but in reality it was not common sense to me that is.
    • Another technique was the polishing of the lower panels (underneath the doors). I find the lower panels to be a pain and at first it was uncomfortable trying to polish. The video shows a way of holding the machine, I don’t think I can describe it because I was scratched my head and I had to paused the video a few times to see clearly how it was done…I don’t know I just couldn’t get it. I’ll try to describe it. The rotary or PC needs to have the handle attached to it and you are on your knees and now put your hands straight out, now cross them (to make an x type) and then grab the machine with? That’s the best I can do….I’ll try and get something to help illustrate this technique…if anyone of you know what I’m talking about please jump in. I have tried it and it does help but I just keep going back to my way and that is no handle and the Metabo feels good in any position feels. But just thought it was worth mentioning as it got my attention.
    • Another thing that I felt I should have known but did not is how to position your body and how to move your body and not your arms. Sometimes you it’s required for you to move your arms but most of the times it’s all on moving around using your legs and being square with what you’re polishing. The video shows you this and gives good tips on how to position your body.
    • Another point I found useful from the video is that it goes through various types of polishing/compound products. The video explains the difference between polish and compound and when to use and how to maximize on the product, meaning no wasting product. I found this interesting and useful.

So how would I rate this video, out of 10 I give it 8. Why? Three big reasons, well at least to me they were big and significant:

• I really wished it had wet sanding, maybe I’m asking for too much but I don’t think I am.
    • I would like to see some paint gauging action.
    • The video shows how to clean gum foam pads or gummed wool pads but it does not show to wash them….maybe not a big deal but I just wished it showed more detail on cleaning pads as it’s a big deal when your learning.

Overall, I recommend this video. At first I thought that this video would be best for new people trying to get into detailing with a machine, pads, clay the works but overall this video is good even for the veterans…yes even for Master Toto….maybe a guy like Toto would skip a few chapters but I’m sure even a person with lots of experience would get something out of the video. In my opinion this video is money well spent and the rating I gave it reflects it.

I hope this review helps and sorry if I confused you on the one of the techniques…but I’ll try to make it up with some nice snap shots (pictures of the technique coming soon).

Feed back is always welcome.

Here are some pictures of the case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Calgarydetail

Calgarydetail Getting to know Detailing

thanks for the review nica, that dvd looks really intresting.

if you dont mind we asking, where did you get it from?

3. pirex

pirex DB Certified Dealer

Yeah, thats a great DVD! I bought it after Nica did the review!

4. Nica

Nica Banned

I know some of you probably had seen this review before but I figures I should start posting all my things on this site lol.

Calgarydetail - I got the DVD from this place
    http://www.1car-detailing-training.com/Default/54/OnlineStore.aspx

pirex - Glad you en enjoyed the video and founded usefull. It sure helped me out, thanks to this video I steped up to wool pads and I really like wool pads now.

5. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

I have the DVD but I found it to be a little too novice. It is a little more advanced than say, the DVDs that other people put out about the PC, but I didnt get too much from it.

Its expensive too!

6. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

Kevin is a great guy I took the class sometime ago and I still talk to him every once in awhile.

Carlos I'm going to PM you about an idea.

7. Nica

Nica Banned

I've been contemplating taking his class, even now I still feel I can learn something new :thumb:

Idea! Sweet :righton: lay it on me buddy :thumb: