Buffing after repairing Stone Chip

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by ps3king, Jun 1, 2010.

1. ps3king

ps3king Jedi Nuba

Just a question...

I've been watching how these kits work and they seem to work really well. Now once the paint has been applied, dried, and the excess removed using their solutions can you buff the area?

The Langka kit has a sealant that you put on top of the repaired chip but i dont think the Dr.Colourchip you do. So once an area has been "cured" when you put a rotary to that area will that not remove the paint?

Has anybody tried it? I guess I should alternatively ask what method(s) everybody else uses for stone chip Repair.

Thanks,

2. richy

richy Guest

Waseem, the Langka kit I have does not come with a sealant. It should. I have found that it needs to cure for days to become hard enough otherwise when you use the Langka, it pulls the paint right out. I bought one of those kits (might be Dr chip..I don't remember) but I haven't used it yet. The best luck I have had is do your aggressive compound first and then polish. Now apply the touch up and let it dry. If you use very small amounts of touch up (I like using a pointy toothpick for chips) then it will dry quickly and you won't have too much on and won't need Langka or anything else. If it's a case where you want to fill in a key scratch or something like that then fill it multiple times until it's slightly higher than the surrounding area and wet sand it smooth and then finish it off. That method takes a lot longer though so it depends on how long you have the car.

3. corrswitch

corrswitch Jedi Nuba

Hi Waseem,

I have the kit that has all three bottles.

So what I usually do is use the prep, then apply the paint. Wait a few days and then use langka to remove the excess paint.

If it pulls it right off or it needs to be touched up again (cuz it could look like a crater or not cover it up fully), I redo the steps.

Once its flat using the card/cloth and stays covered, you can buff it. If you got it perfect, perhaps no need to buff (for myself I don't also get it perfect. The smaller chips are the hardest)

Once all is done, then apply the paint sealant.

Or just any other paint sealant, I think its just a regular paint sealant.

The key is that langka thins the paint so you can remove the excess using the card/cloth and hopefully its level with the existing paint.

4. ps3king

ps3king Jedi Nuba

Richy Thanks for the reply. What sand paper should I use to wetsand to level the dried surface?

should clearcoat also be applied after?

5. ps3king

ps3king Jedi Nuba

quick bump :)

6. richy

richy Guest

Either 2000 or 2500. You can apply some clear once the initial colour spot has shrunk down a bit. With a straight colour, I would not bother with the clear.