Budget Sun Gun

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by v|nsan|ty, Feb 29, 2012.

1. v|nsan|ty

v|nsan|ty Obsessive Detailer

2. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

Thats a pretty good Idea............

3. v|nsan|ty

^It sounds like we have a volunteer! I look forward to a progress thread :thumb:

4. HeavyD

HeavyD DB Forum Supporter

Very clever. I admire people who have that certain know how to come up with this stuff. I myself would have started of with a drill and ended up with a broken drill.LOL

5. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

I'll definitely give this a try one day. Any idea where to get the bulb connector? The thing with the two white wires?

6. RefPerfection

RefPerfection Birth of a Detailer

That's pretty awesome. Wouldn't be surprised to see some Sun Guns liquidated after people try to make this little setup lol

7. v|nsan|ty

From the pictures, it appears those connectors come with the bulb itself. OP looked like he just wired it into the existing set up from the drill, hence the electrical tape around the ends of the white connector.

8. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

Thanks so much for finding this and linking it for us !!!
    This is a heck of of a moneysaver if you happen to have a dead 12v drill like this one laying around.
    I have an old B/Decker that Im sure is 12v, just need to get it out and look at the end of it... Im thinking now it might be too small a diameter, but it looks like this Skil tool is perfect.

Great post - need to thank that guy too. :)
    Dan F

9. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

LOL....... or worse

10. sikedsyko

sikedsyko DB Forum Supporter

Wow I actually have that exact drill, and its kind of a piece of crap... Maybe I'll try this out.

11. kyoshiro

kyoshiro DB Forum Supporter

i'll just go down to sham shiu po over here to get some china knock off sun gun :D

12. kakeuter

kakeuter DB Forum Supporter

My drill is already ripped apart and ready to accept the bulb, but i cannot find an MR16 bulb with the housing that has the wires coming out of it. All the ones available at Lowes are the higher output bulbs/housing.

-Kody-

13. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

sikedsyko ---

What is the model number of your Skil drill that is the same as the one in the link please ?

Thanks
    Dan F

14. drew935

drew935 Auto Salon Works

I'll try this with my old craftsman 18v drill :D

15. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

Found the parts needed guys

http://www.amazon.com/Skil-2240-01-12-Volt-8-Inch-Driver/dp/B002W210HQ

There are many options with the bulb but I am guessing the 35 watt because 50 watt is said to be too bright from what I have read on other forums, also the angle you want is up to you it can range from 10 to 36 degree angle.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002GS4GE/ref=oh_o02_s00_i00_details

and this is the connector I read polarity doesnt matter when crimping it or soldering it.

http://www.amazon.com/TP-61-GX5-3-GZ6-35-lamp-holder/dp/B004IA63HC/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hi_2

16. Isnt it just cheaper to buy a gun from dd or di? Or is it all about that bulb?

17. kocor321

kocor321 Virgin Detailer

You wouldn't think the guys driving those Z's would be that worried about being thrifty. Good find.

18. drew935

drew935 Auto Salon Works

I agree and I'm purchasing one in my next order. It's a lot more hassle for me to build one when the price and time cannot be justified for buying a new one at DD and DI

19. v|nsan|ty

20. drew935

drew935 Auto Salon Works