Brown stuff on tires?

Discussion in 'Detailers Domain' started by awdpwns, Jun 24, 2012.

1. awdpwns

awdpwns Virgin Detailer

Hey guys since i picked up my new audi s4 its had brown tires. The cars tires were covered in mud when i was looking at it. The mud must have sat on them for a month or 2. I told them not to pdi it. The following morning i washed off the dirt but there was still a brown layer left on the tire sidewall. Does anyone know what this is or how to get it off? Ill post pics later tonight. Thanks

2. chemgys99

chemgys99 DB Forum Supporter

Spray Cg grime reaper 4-1 or Meg's super degreaser 4-1. Let it sit for couple minutes(out of sun). Respray and scrub with a brush. Rinse and dry down. Also te brown could of been from a shity tire dressing.

3. DirtyWeRX

DirtyWeRX DB Forum Supporter

If its not entirely mud, then it's brake dust. I work in a tire shop and see it all the time. Spray some APC and scrub it down really well. Yu may have to do it a couple times but should clean up

4. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

got any pictures?

5. obsidian LGT

obsidian LGT Birth of a Detailer

That definitely sounds more like brake dust. German cars are horrible for it! Previous is correct, APC should take care of it. If not, griots garage makes rubber prep that works quite well.

6. Frankastic

Frankastic Detail Photographer

Stoner's Tarminator = your friend :) just a light spray on a towel and wipe

7. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

+1 on the Griot's Rubber Prep that stuff works very well. But like others have mentioned, use a good APC and scrub, scrub, scrub.

8. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

post up some good photo's so we can all have a look at exactly what you're working with.

9. sikedsyko

sikedsyko DB Forum Supporter

I'd try Mother's wheel and tire cleaner on it, or any tire cleaner that foams up. Spray on, scrub it in, rinse, repeat.

10. Darkstar752

Darkstar752 Horizon Detailing

+1 :)

11. detailersdomain

12. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

If this brown discolouration is only on the tyres not the wheel surfaces it could be the tyres in-built protection (Antiozonant)

13. awdpwns

awdpwns Virgin Detailer

[​IMG]

Sorry this is the only pic i could snap of the tire before it started downpouring again. But yea 2 days ago i tried some WD40 with a paper towel and it got a noticeable amount of it off but some of its still there..

Attached Files:

14. detailersdomain

stoner's tarminator should clean that up nicely.

15. awdpwns

awdpwns Virgin Detailer

Alright ill order some tonight. Thanks!

16. blackTL

blackTL Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Haven't tried tarminator, but I had the same problem and Meg's apc 4:1 helped clean it up.

17. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

Autoglym CWC will take care of it...

18. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

The key to tyre dressing durability is deep cleaning the tyre, spray or apply your cleaner allow to soak in for a minute or two and then scrub with a fairly stiff tyre brush, once clean you should be able to take an old white dry terry towel and rub the tyre surface, it should be almost pristine (if not repeat). Tyre cleaner needs to be strong enough to tackle a heavy build-up of tyre dressings, silicone and road grime, but not damage wheel coatings.

A quality citrus-based cleaner
    (P21S® Total Auto Wash) should clean the tyres down to the original rubber surface, this is especially important when you apply a new dressing, as dressings won't adhere to, or create the right shine on dirty rubber or silicone residue. This tyre cleaner is a strong concentrate; spray-and-rinse, without scrubbing, if you are starting on an old, neglected surface, use a fairly stiff tyre brush for the first application and a spray & rinse at least 3-4 times a year

Alternative products – Optimum™ Polymer Technologies - Power Clean (diluted 3:1: to 5:1)

Griot’s Rubber Cleaner and Griot’s Rubber Prep - two excellent products for cleaning rubber; Rubber Cleaner is for regular cleanings; like a car wash for your tires. Then, for more serious cleaning, there’s Rubber Prep, is an intense cleaner for heavily soiled rubber tires, trim, mouldings, seals, and hoses. This gel rubber cleaner removes old dressings and road grime to prepare the surface for a coat of rubber dressing by getting down to the bare rubber

19. Meticulous-Detail

Meticulous-Detail DB Forum Supporter

Just picked up Megs New Foaming All Wheel and Tire Cleaner and this stuff is awesome on both the wheels and tires. Foams up nice and doesn't run. The tires comes so clean you don't even need to dress them. I just cut out APC for tires on my details with this stuff.

All of the above suggestions will work great too!

20. Earlyworm

Earlyworm Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Amazing Roll Off works for me. Agitation not needed.