BMW interior soft paint trim issues.

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by supercharged, Apr 12, 2009.

1. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

How do you guys deal with this? I have BMWs for this. Soft paint on interior vinyl/trim, everytime I detail it, more paint peels off, where it already didn't peel...I usually like to spray and soak the cupholders, where I get most of my soda spills...most of the time I use 1Z cockpit premium which should be safe for this but I still have this issue...should I just soak the heck out of that trim, then carefully remove the entire f***ing thing so I will never deal with it again? Do you guys have this issue? What about if you do customer's cars? Car is '04 325Ci.

TIA.

2. mb43

mb43 Obsessive Detailer

I have this on my 6-series, it's really annoying. I think they fixed it on the new ones though. Let me talk to someone who might know more about this and get back to you.

3. supercharged

what year is your 6-series?

4. mb43

mb43 Obsessive Detailer

Apparently it's just something you have to deal with, but it can be replaced under warranty.

My 6-series is an '04.

5. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

I thought that only happened to my wife's Ford Explorer!

6. supercharged

my BMW is now out of warranty, and I'm not paying to have it resprayed. I'd rather strip the whole thing...hmmm....wonder how you guys deal with customer's cars...

7. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

With great care.

I've detailed several BMWs now, and they've all had this hateful "soft touch" coating on areas like the center console. I've started making sure I notice the peeling first, and tell the customer, "look, this stuff is peeling up pretty bad. I can go hard at cleaning this area up, but be advised that I could make the area worse." I've found that telling them the stuff is already on its way out eases their minds a lot.

As to what I do? Soft microfiber, and MS Leather and Plastic Cleaner. I don't rub super hard - don't really need to - and the stuff generally comes clean without peeling up any worse than it already was.

8. GLuXuRy

GLuXuRy Birth of a Detailer

if the car is under warranty dont worry about it peeling .. we cover it under new vehicle warranty

9. supercharged

I don't want it to be resprayed though...I'd rather not have that ugly coating...

10. GLuXuRy

its not re-sprayed .. if a door handle soft paint is peeling .. we replace the door handle .. steering wheel cover peeling, we replace the cover ... etc

there was a guy on autopia that had a customer with a e90 .. door handle was peeling .. car was out of new vehicle warranty .. they guy ended up spraying it, came out like new

honestly if i had a bmw and the soft paint was peeling .. id just take off all the paint .. under the paint is a nice glossy plastic

11. supercharged

it's on center console only...

12. odgaard

odgaard Birth of a Detailer

cupholders aren't that expensive are they? 20-40? The black soft paint under my ebrake handle is a little scratched as well as my cupholders. i just use cockpit premium to clean the area. Oh, I also soak my cupholder in my wash bucket. Nothing special, just let it rinse a bit then wipe it clean. then apply cock-pit

13. GLuXuRy

if its a e46 the cup holder can be replaced by itself, the tray behind the cupholder can be replaced by itself, certain parts of the armrest can be replaced by itself, if its diretly on the console then the console has to be replaced

14. bigpoppa

bigpoppa Jedi Nuba

Weird, I never noticed this before today. I'm detailing an 04' 330xi, and am steaming/cleaning the shit out of the steering wheel (the owner must put on hand cream every time she drives), and I noticed that the coating starts delaminating and peeling off.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who has this problem, or that my cleaning technique is entirely at fault (although I'm sure it didn't help).

15. mb43

mb43 Obsessive Detailer

Be careful on steering wheels with steam cleaners. I burnt a steering wheel once from scrubbing it.

And BMW cupholders are very expensive.

16. GLuXuRy

^^^everything for you e63/64 is exspensive =P

17. nickg

nickg Virgin Detailer

e46 99-06 3 series cup holders were like $40

18. fricker66

fricker66 Birth of a Detailer

Thanks for all the tips/insight in the above posts. My e46 has the peeled coating around the cupholders and it is rather scratched around the ebrake. Somewhat glad to see I'm not the only one experiencing this stuff!