BMW 2008 535i-black leather seats

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by mohebmhanna, Jan 5, 2011.

1. mohebmhanna

mohebmhanna Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Hi
    Is any one can suggest what is the best approach and prodcut to clean and maintain BMW 2008 black leather seats. I heared the only thing I need is to clean with damp new towel and use 303 protectant every month to keep the seats in good conditions since its coated seat. On other hand I see the market offers many good products such as CG, 1z, zymol, leatherique, and swissvax. I would appreciate your inputs.

2. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

Most leather seats these days have a coating from the factory, but are still susceptible to grime, friction and clothing dye transfer wearing them down.
    A water wipe might be just fine for cleaning if your seats see little use. Like you say, there are many good leather cleaners/conditioners out there and I would recommend getting a set. Personally, I have used Zaino, Leather Masters and they do a good job.
    How long have you had your car and do you use it alot?

3. richy

richy Guest

Steam cleaning followed by 303 Aerospace is a good combo.

4. mohebmhanna

mohebmhanna Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I have it for almost 1 year and use it every day. As I said I'm happy with 1z product and always keep the car clean by polish, wax, etc. but when it comes to interior I don't want ot chnage the seat orginal look by using a product which its unnecessary.

5. judyb

judyb Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Leather does not require 'conditioning' with anything other than moisture (water)

Keep your leather clean by protecting it with a leather protector and then regular cleaning.
    Adding 'conditioners' which generally contain oils and waxes will change the appearance of your leather over time as dirt will build up on the surface and cause a sheen. Sheen can also be caused as you have found by the use of incorrect products that leave residues on the surface. Products that cause the leather to be slippy are also dangerous to use on car seats.

Using the correct care methods and products will not alter the factory finish.

Your type of leather is 'coated' leather. This is essentially a 'painted' leather with a clear coat finish over the top. The leather may or may not be dyed through with aniline dyes prior to the finish coating.

Essentially it is this top coating that needs looking after. Cleaning is vitally important as the top coat will wear away if allowed to become dirty. Dirt on the surface will also become ground into the finish by constant abrassion.

'Conditioners', balms, feeds etc (traditionally oil and wax based) cannot penetrate this finish so are not worth applying - they can also leave behind residues on the finish which will only attract more dirt if allowed to remain.

A protector will make the finish easier to clean and also inhibit dye transfer etc on pale coloured leathers.

Leather however finished has to remain breathable and it will allow the movement of moisture back and forth (transpiration) so the use of water based cleaners and protectors will keep the leather correctly hydrated which is essentail to keeping it in good condition.

The routine for correct care should be
    Protect from new (Auto Ultra Protect)
    Maintain with a regular clean or maintenance product (Auto Ultra Maintain)
    Deep clean with a foam cleaner once or twice a year (Auto Ultra Foam)

This will prolong the life of the finish on the leather.

Hope this helps

6. TheRustySuper

TheRustySuper Obsessive Detailer

If I don't have a steam cleaner, would an APC work as well to get all the grime and stuff off first?

7. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

Clark,

I have seen APC work just fine on leather seats; I would only resort to using something like that if the leather was really dirty and I couldnt get it clean with warm water and a towel, etc..
    Sometimes, a small scrub brush helps get the dirt out of the pores of the leather easier, so keep that in mind too.

Alot of the leather protectors products also clean the leather too, so if it was me, I would go that way, and save the APC for gentle use only on really stained places, and only use it after testing it out in a place that doesnt show, to be safe, especially on older vehicles with like aged leather.

I personally use Steam to get all the stuff up to the top and softened, so that the majority comes off really easy, and then I just apply a conditioner on there - my only question to the Client is - do they care for the "leather scented" appropriate conditioner, or do they prefer a conditioner that allows the scent of the leather if it has any, to come out.

I know you dont have a Steamer yet.. :)

Dan F